• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds fae Torry (2 Viewers)

I was back by the sea today, after a few days doon sooth. The Glaucous Gull is still present and correct and there were, as per usual, a couple of dolphins around. One Common Scoter went north. I might try to have a wander tomorrow.

Tired of reading about Glonks and King Eiders? Well, there's a new kid on the block. Yesterday afternoon, among the Eiders at the foghorn, there was a very smart drake Velvet Scoter. Much more handsome than any of the other local residents.

Attachments

• IMG_6089.jpg
    IMG_6089.jpg
    170 KB · Views: 140
The usual with variations

And a fine male wheatear in the walled garden. Eventually!

The male was joined by a female this evening. No sign of the Velvet Scoter though.

This morning I managed a good house tick with a distant pair of Shoveler going north. Also six Common Scoters north and my first Sandwich Tern of the year.

The Glaucous Gull or Gulls were quite visible on my walk round the Ness this evening. It may just have been the regular bird around but it was moving about quite a lot from the harbour to off the foghorn. There were 17 Purple Sandpipers roosting on the old breakwater but at least 50 were flying about the north pier. A single dolphin was around the harbour mouth but there were probably others around.

The King Eider is still about and has quite an orangy conk now (that's 'conk'). All day there were lots of Kittiwakes feeding offshore. A female Long-tailed Duck was on Nigg Bay.

A chilly northeaster blew for most of today, with lots of squally showers especially late morning. I vaguely hoped this combination might pull something in. Well... in a change to the advertised programme, I started my walk round the Ness on the south side, hoping some migrants might be sheltering in the gorse. And one was. It was a Goldcrest. Which actually was fairly exciting because it was my first at Girdle Ness this year. There seemed to be lots of both Rock and Meadow Pipits around on the golf course.

The sea looked like it ought to be decent and there were hordes of Kittiwakes and Fulmars drifting about. Not much else though - 11 Common Scoters north and 1 Sandwich Tern. There was no sign at all of the King Eider, although I wouldn't be too surprised to see it back again in the very near future. He's a home-lovin' boy.

The lighthouse field/ walled garden/ Walker Park (delete according to taste) had a female Wheatear bouncing vigorously about trying to avoid the dog walkers. A pair of Red-breasted Mergansers and a drake Long-tailed Duck almost in breeding plumage were around the harbour mouth.

I had a quick look out to sea just now and there are still loads of Kittiwakes. Also another Sandwich Tern north.

The local Herring Gulls are keeping me entertained. I noticed a pair going at it hammer and tongs and was interested to see that the burly looking male was, by the looks of it, only a fourth calendar year bird. I checked out the female and, you know what? I think she was enjoying it ;). The 'gull proof' bin outside my building has lost its lid recently (not sure why) and the gulls are regularly pouring over the street and producing worried looks on the part of some local residents. It was all looking amusingly Hitchcockian for a while this evening.

One or two other bits and bobs from over the weekend from girdleness:

3 redwing, 3 wheatear, several blackbirds and a reed bunting on Friday, velvet scoter still with eiders.

the original glauc, and a peregrine over on Saturday.

The glauc again today, and 2 ducks going north at a range approaching several miles, that were probably pintail. Thouroughly migrantless though. No sign of the King eider for three days now.......

And apparently a Chiffchaff today. In the trees next to the putting green behind the allotments. If this autumns anything like the last one, it might be the only chance!

A slight upturn

I've not been seeing too much lately, particularly anything remotely summery, so this morning represents something of an upturn. And I managed a rather surprising and impressive mammal sighting too. And I'm not talking about Badgeiders (or are they half bird/ half mammal?).

A drake Long-tailed Duck was in the harbour and I was pleased to see the Glaucous Gull is still lurking about, drifting around with the gulls on the north shore. A young seal was hauled out on the beach by the old pier but that wasn't the best mammal there. I noticed a dark looking thing emerge from the water and clamber onto the pier. It was an Otter. Blinking heck. The first one I've seen here. It scuttled up onto the top of the pier, sending all the gulls and waders a bit mental, beetled around for a bit and then slunk down the other side. I had a look for it along the shore and in the harbour but there was no sign. It looked a relatively small individual - maybe a fairly young one.

I met up with Mark and Claire at the Battery and we headed off towards the foghorn. 35 Purple Sandpipers flew in with five of them colour-ringed. A good number but I suspect the Purple Sandpiper Totaliser has probably peaked for this winter. Thanks to everyone for all their efforts. Around four Bottlenose Dolphins were offshore, quite a long way out.

Two Wheatears were in the lighthouse field and a Swallow dashed through - my first here this year. A Kestrel was knocking about the golf course for much of the morning. Out to sea there were lots of Kittiwakes and Fulmars moving and joining them in conversation were three Great Skuas, two of which showed marked levels of adjacency to the shore. At least three Common Scoters were with the Eider flock and a pair of Red-breasted Mergansers went north. There wasn't too much on the south side but a Sand Martin whizzed through. At last a few migrants.

Ive heard reports of Otters in that area on and off,for a few years now.However,its bloody typical I have never seen one there,so well done Andrew.

An update from the last few days....

Yesterday, first willow warbler at the STW, 2 each of great northern diver and Pintail north

Today, a fall of sorts. About 20 wheatears (inc 11 in the walled garden), and around the STW, 4+ Willow warbler, 6+ chiffchaff (none singing, all looking very furtive and migranty, if you know what I mean) and a goldcrest. Also Peregrine over, and the glauc still present of course!

All that cover around the STW looks really good. No phylloscs anywhere else but it was positively crawling with them there today.

An update from the last few days....

Yesterday, first willow warbler at the STW, 2 each of great northern diver and Pintail north

Today, a fall of sorts. About 20 wheatears (inc 11 in the walled garden), and around the STW, 4+ Willow warbler, 6+ chiffchaff (none singing, all looking very furtive and migranty, if you know what I mean) and a goldcrest. Also Peregrine over, and the glauc still present of course!

All that cover around the STW looks really good. No phylloscs anywhere else but it was positively crawling with them there today.

Well, at least I didn't miss anything too bad while I was away (although Pintail is pretty good!). Will try and check out round the sewage works next time I'm out.

Back in Aberdeen at the moment. Had a quiet survey yesterday, a couple of sum plum Red Throated divers inc one in the harbour, 3 crows heading out to see about 3 miles out, a single swallow. A possible petrel (half glimpsed but not in survey transect so couldnt look) was a pain. A walk up to Girdle Ness produced the Glaucous Gull but no King Eider. A few Wheatears in the paddock by the lighthouse and little else bird wise.
A smaller dolphin was performing well in the harbour and I took some shots of its fin for photo ID purposes. Going for a ramble out there today as we are stranded with the winds being too high. If anyones about say hello to the confused guy with bins/camera in his mid 20s. We are staying in the harbour aboard the gemini explorer.

Back in Aberdeen at the moment. Had a quiet survey yesterday, a couple of sum plum Red Throated divers inc one in the harbour, 3 crows heading out to see about 3 miles out, a single swallow. A possible petrel (half glimpsed but not in survey transect so couldnt look) was a pain. A walk up to Girdle Ness produced the Glaucous Gull but no King Eider. A few Wheatears in the paddock by the lighthouse and little else bird wise.
A smaller dolphin was performing well in the harbour and I took some shots of its fin for photo ID purposes. Going for a ramble out there today as we are stranded with the winds being too high. If anyones about say hello to the confused guy with bins/camera in his mid 20s. We are staying in the harbour aboard the gemini explorer.

Sorry I missed you today James. I didn't get out and about till this evening - the first time I've been round the Ness for a week. It may come as a surprise to some but I've actually been busy with work!

Can I also congratulate you on coming up with the fourth name for the field by the lighthouse. Briefly,
1. The Lighthouse Field. What I call it. Does what it says on the tin.
2. Walker Park. What Ben calls it. He has local knowledge, so this possibly might actually be the official name.
3. The Walled Garden. Favoured by Mark. It has got a wall, but is it really a garden?
4. And now, The Paddock as introduced by James. A horse would surely have a hard time of it there though, unless it's unusually tolerant of being smacked with golf balls propelled by cheapskate golfers who can't be bothered to go to a proper driving range. Having said that, introducing a few intimidating looking large grazing animals would actually scare the willies out of said cheapskate golfers and they'd ply their illicit trade somewhere else.

Anyway, I did go birding today as previously mentioned. But before that I had a bit of a butchers from the flat. This produced a thrilling house tick in the shape of two Sand Martins. A Swallow (the first of quite a few today) zipped over the harbour. Out to sea I was quite surprised to see my first Manx Shearwater of the year going south, fairly close in to the harbour.

A few more Lesser Black-backs have moved into the roof top colony. I think there are now four pairs on the near roof top and at least one other on the more distant row. The Herring Gulls look a bit like they're actually doing some proper breeding now.

Bottlenose Dolphins teemed in their multitudes around the harbour mouth. I even managed a few pics. These are amongst my best shots of dolphins, mainly because dolphins are actually in view in them. The Glaucous Gull drifted along the north shore and I spent a bit of time looking at a gull on the North Pier. It's the right hand bird in the attached picture (seated). Larophiles will instantly recognise it as 'one of those'. By that I mean a bit of a pale one, but maybe not one to get too excited about. The primaries seemed to be quite creamy brown. But I rather suspect it's a pale Herring Gull.

There were still 49 Purple Sandpipers on Greyhope Bay, 1 Redshank and several quite smart looking Turnstones. A pair of Ringed Plovers were glowering at an interloper Ringed Plover, which was a bit dull looking so maybe not a local breeding bird. 'The Lighthouse Field' (insert your preferred name) was fairly strewn with Wheatears, ten in all with five males and five females. They could have staged a Wheatear orgy, but didn't.

There was very little moving out to sea, although a female Goosander south was a bit weird. There seem to be a few more Red-throated Divers about at the moment with one or two north and four in Nigg Bay. As I was walking along the road above the south shore, a passerine flitted across the rocks. I just got enough of a view to see that it was brown with a red tail. Either Common or Black Redstart but I didn't see it well enough to be sure of which. This made me say the word 'arse'. Out loud. I can only hope no impressionable youngsters were within earshot.

Attachments

• Serious Dolphinage Girdle Ness 260408a.jpg
    Serious Dolphinage Girdle Ness 260408a.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 83
  • Serious Dolphinage Girdle Ness 260408b.jpg
    Serious Dolphinage Girdle Ness 260408b.jpg
    185.2 KB · Views: 71
  • Weird Gull Girdle Ness 260408a.jpg
    Weird Gull Girdle Ness 260408a.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 77
Hi Andrew. A fascinating report as ever, almost as good as being there. As an Aberdonian of well over half a century I can confirm it is the Walker Park. The OS map will confirm that. Has anyone ever seen the grass being cut? I haven't.

Look guys it's quite simple......

It can't be a field, cos there aren't any animals in it, and it can't be a park, because there aren't any swings!

Therefore - garden!

2 whimbrel over the ness today, also a song thush at the STW. Also 2 tufties reported from the harbour. One for the house list, Andrew?

Walker Park for me. As for the redstart sp. on the south shore I'd put money on it being a Black.

Incidentally Andrew, are you ever going to finish your photographic guide to the sites of Girdleness? I await with interest the accounts of the South Bank and the new Sewage Works.

Walker Park for me. As for the redstart sp. on the south shore I'd put money on it being a Black.

Incidentally Andrew, are you ever going to finish your photographic guide to the sites of Girdleness? I await with interest the accounts of the South Bank and the new Sewage Works.

I never knew people were paying so much attention! At the back of my mind I was thinking of finishing it off.

You may well be right with Black Redstart, although from the fleeting view I had it didn't look obviously greyish. The behaviour, i.e. disappearing off the face of the earth pretty rapidly, is promising.

Sounds like I ought to be looking at the window rather than on here though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back