• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds fae Torry (9 Viewers)

It's nastily hard not to laugh....
Poor old Andrew!
Mind you, he is in Australia, so our sympathy for him should be severely limited anyway!

It's nastily hard not to laugh....
Poor old Andrew!
Mind you, he is in Australia, so our sympathy for him should be severely limited anyway!

Aw, didn't realise! Wouldn't have joined in the latest Desert Wheatear discussion with my comments . . does that mean we shouldn't discuss Desert Wheatears on this thread any more? . . .

Aw, didn't realise! Wouldn't have joined in the latest Desert Wheatear discussion with my comments . . does that mean we shouldn't discuss Desert Wheatears on this thread any more? . . .

No no I wouldn't go that far. After all, it is a pretty darn nice bird and should really be admired with posts declaring appreciation of it's beauty and rarity as much as possible. Some more photos would be nice too, anyone?

Happy to oblige.......follow the link below!

When will you get back Andrew.....I'll do my best to make sure it sticks around.

Mark

Hmm, I see things have been busy while I've been away (and I'm still away, as it happens). Congratulations to Ken on joining the 'I've found a Desert Wheatear' club. It's a very exclusive club as it happens ;).

A little bit disappointed Mark didn't manage to keep it there. It's only a couple of weeks till I'm back - how hard can it be to keep one small bird in a big place like Girdle Ness? I'll also fogive Laura her occasional geographical lapses ;).

Hmm, I see things have been busy while I've been away (and I'm still away, as it happens). Congratulations to Ken on joining the 'I've found a Desert Wheatear' club. It's a very exclusive club as it happens ;).

A little bit disappointed Mark didn't manage to keep it there. It's only a couple of weeks till I'm back - how hard can it be to keep one small bird in a big place like Girdle Ness? I'll also fogive Laura her occasional geographical lapses ;).

There he is!
Are you quite sure some of your 'bluethroat' sightings weren't this bird?

Anyway, I'm now going to scan your new locale for wren-like birds!;)

There he is!
Are you quite sure some of your 'bluethroat' sightings weren't this bird?

Anyway, I'm now going to scan your new locale for wren-like birds!;)

I'm pretty sure my 'Bluethroats' weren't Desert Wheatears. They might easily have been Robins though.

I've actually had some interesting encounters with wren-like birds lately, and this time even have pictures.

Not much at the ness on Sunday, the wheatear was seen briefly around lunchtime (although not by me) and a Black guilemot was about the best I could come up with. The wheatear apparently spent most of Sunday feeding at Aberdeens legendary fun beach, and approaching folk down to a few feet. If it's survived the cold snap it could well still be around.

Aberdeen Desert Wheatear goes rogue

At first the bird was confiding, if we're not careful before long it'll become over familiar.

Give it another week or so and it will have bulked up on steroids and hanging around outside Frankie & Benny's in a hoody and shell suit, intimidating infirm OAPs into handing over their pension money to feed it's ever growing crack habit.

kt

Very little to report from The Ness today. Saw The Freak (the albino Oystercatcher) and a Sparrowhawk, loads of Rock Pipits in Walker Park, and....can't think of anything else really. Horrendous driving conditions in the snow going home, between Culter and Banchory.

I am suffering from withdrawal symptoms!
Are there no birds on the Ness when Andrew is away? Just wondered as my son is due home from uni at the weekend and would love visit the Ness? What might he be able to see? Are the purple sand pipers still about?

Last edited:
I am suffering from withdrawal symptoms!
Are there no birds on the Ness when Andrew is away? Just wondered as my son is due home from uni at the weekend and would love visit the Ness? What might he be able to see? Are the purple sand pipers still about?

There are always birds at The Ness, especially when Andrew is away. ;) I haven't been there myself for a week or so, as I've been busy doing survey stuff for the BTO. The fact that nothing unusual has been reported there shouldn't put you off going, you never know what might turn up. The purple sandpipers will be there all winter, somewhere on the rocks or one of the piers. There will also be eiders (this time last year there was a king eider), red-throated divers should be around,in winter plumage of course, plus oysercatchers, turnstones and redshanks. Rock pipits too, inside the Walker Park especially if it's windy. That's the walled grassy place behind the lighthouse, always worth a look. Remember, the only certainty about birding is the uncertainty.

Guess what I did today. That's right. I went birding at Girdle Ness.

Steps back in amazement and falls in the harbour, disturbing the roosting Purple Sandpipers in the process.

And it has to be said that there weren't a lot of what you might call 'decent birds' around. Despite the disturbance there were a few Purple Sandpipers but nothing of a Totaliser-threatening magnitude. There were fairly large numbers of Eiders off the coo but, unlike this time last year, none of them were of regal mien. A Red-throated Diver was on the sea, which isn't really that exciting but I thought I'd mention it anyway. And there were a pair of Stonechats on Greyhope Bay.

Earlier on I saw a couple of Bottlenose Dolphins at the harbour mouth. There were rather a lot on Thursday morning - probably 15 or more scattered along the coast.

Thanks Andrew and welcome back. Lovely day today up Deeside, 12 degrees, but I'm glad I stayed at home. I've got this beaut of a cold and I was afraid my constant barking would have scared everything off, even the dogs. I'll be back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back