• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds fae Torry (4 Viewers)

Today I extended the boundaries of Torry a little and headed down to Cove Bay. I had a look at Rigifa Pool but there's not much water there at the moment, and even fewer water birds. I continued around the Cove Community Woodland area but there wasn't too much aside from various warblers singing. I continued up the coast, stopping for a while at the seabird colonies just north of Cove Bay. There were plenty of the usual commoner seabirds on the cliffs, which was encouraging. I saw no fewer than five Black Guillemots in the usual areas, which is a decent number. One gave particularly good views as it swam around below me. Two more were in Nigg Bay, so there's a reasonable population in the area during the breeding season these days. At St Fittick's I saw my first fledgeling Long-tailed Tits of the year.

Attachments

• Black Guillemot_Cove Bay_270523a.jpg
    Black Guillemot_Cove Bay_270523a.jpg
    577.1 KB · Views: 10
  • Fulmar_Cove Bay_270523a.jpg
    Fulmar_Cove Bay_270523a.jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 10
  • Fulmar_Cove Bay_270523b.jpg
    Fulmar_Cove Bay_270523b.jpg
    225.5 KB · Views: 7
  • Kittiwake_Cove Bay_270523a.jpg
    Kittiwake_Cove Bay_270523a.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 7
  • Kittiwake_Cove Bay_270523b.jpg
    Kittiwake_Cove Bay_270523b.jpg
    218.7 KB · Views: 7
  • Song Thrush_Cove Bay_270523a.jpg
    Song Thrush_Cove Bay_270523a.jpg
    318.9 KB · Views: 10
I had an early morning walk to St Fitticks Park and had a Fox encounter on the way.Much of what could be expected at this time of year,with Common Whitethroat,Sedge and Willow Warblers around different areas.The Pond held Moorhen chicks and Reed Buntings carrying food.Strangely,I only seen a single Mallard.Up at my Feeders,a confiding Chiffchaff called above my head and a Blackcap was calling from the dense vegetation by the Railway Line.There was also a Song Thrush singing his heart out.Goldfinch,Greenfinch and a single Bullfinch were also around.Again,no Water Rail were seen or heard at the Concrete Bridge.As I headed for home,a Heron flew In and landed on the Pond,much to the disgust of the parent Moorhen.
Lastly,I'm not sure when they arrived but there Is a build up of Caravan's and other vehicles at the Park,where some of the Travelling Community have set up beside the ruined Kirk of St Fitticks.

Today was a bit cooler and was often overcast. I had a look around St Fittick's in the morning but things were pretty quiet there, although two Black Guillemots were again in Nigg Bay. I continued on round the headland, seeing the Whimbrel again. The Ringed Plovers on the beach appear to be incubating an egg. I also watched a Great Black-backed Gull trying to demolish a very large Lumpsucker in Greyhope Bay.

The light and wind seemed promising for seawatching, so I spent a bit of time by the foghorn. A pale phase Arctic Skua, five Manx Shearwater, an Arctic Tern and a Puffin all went through. I was surprised to see a summer plumage Great Northern Diver on the sea amongst the numerous auks. Birds weren't the main attraction though. The Bottlenose Dolphins were very conspicuous as usual, but further out, other things were moving through the calm waters. The first thing to surface was a Minke Whale, perhaps 2km out. It surfaced at least four times as it headed north. Another then came up a bit further out but going south. Then I got a bigger surprise when something even bigger appeared out of the water, rolled over and flicked a huge tail upwards: a Humpback Whale was heading north, perhaps a kilometre out. It surfaced around four times, blowing occasionally. The underside of the tail was very white on this individual.

I went back out again in the evening, mainly for a seawatch. The whale show wasn't completely over, as I had another Minke Whale surface just once as it headed north. A dark phase Arctic Skua was hanging around on the sea, rousing itself to 'interact' with the terns. Also going through were two Puffins, two Common Scoters and ten Manx Shearwaters.

Attachments

• Whimbrel_Girdle Ness_280523a.jpg
    Whimbrel_Girdle Ness_280523a.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 7
  • GBB Gull_Girdle Ness_280523c.jpg
    GBB Gull_Girdle Ness_280523c.jpg
    770.1 KB · Views: 8
  • GBB Gull_Girdle Ness_280523b.jpg
    GBB Gull_Girdle Ness_280523b.jpg
    784.5 KB · Views: 8
  • GBB Gull_Girdle Ness_280523a.jpg
    GBB Gull_Girdle Ness_280523a.jpg
    899 KB · Views: 8
Then I got a bigger surprise when something even bigger appeared out of the water, rolled over and flicked a huge tail upwards: a Humpback Whale was heading north, perhaps a kilometre out. It surfaced around four times, blowing occasionally. The underside of the tail was very white on this individual.
The whale show wasn't completely over, as I had another Minke Whale surface just once as it headed north.
I won't tell Sandy. He was happy seeing 30 dolphins yesterday. Knowing we missed out on "bigger fish", will dull the glow.

It was a very pleasant, calm evening here and I had a good walk around the headland. Lingering waders included two Dunlin and a late Purple Sandpiper below the foghorn. Offshore, a huge throng of feeding gulls a few miles out helped me to see a couple of rather fleeting Minke Whales. Not too much else passed except for a Manx Shearwater and a Red-throated Diver. A Black Guillemot was quite close in Nigg Bay.

On Monday I went to St Fittick's quad bike race track. As the quads zoomed past I managed to find, Bullfinch, Chaffinch, Greenfinch, Blackcap, Sedge Warbler, Willow Warbler, Rook, Jackdaw, Reed Bunting, and Common Whitethroat.

Over at Greyhope Bay there were numerous people on the beach and rocks. I found just one Common Ringed Plover, and six Ruddy Turnstone.

The gate to the outer breakwater was unlocked, with people strolling around, and there were just some gulls present.

Barry

Attachments

• BW230529_Ruddy Turnstone @ Girdleness .jpg
    BW230529_Ruddy Turnstone @ Girdleness .jpg
    523.8 KB · Views: 2
  • BW230529_Common Ringed Plover @ G.jpg
    BW230529_Common Ringed Plover @ G.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 3
  • BW230529_Jackdaw @ St Fitticks .jpg
    BW230529_Jackdaw @ St Fitticks .jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 2
  • BW230529_Reed Bunting @ St Fitticks .jpg
    BW230529_Reed Bunting @ St Fitticks .jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 2
  • BW230529_Starling @ Girdleness .jpg
    BW230529_Starling @ Girdleness .jpg
    627.6 KB · Views: 3
  • BW230529_Goldfinch @ Girdleness .jpg
    BW230529_Goldfinch @ Girdleness .jpg
    713 KB · Views: 4
  • BW230529_House Martin @ St Fitticks.jpg
    BW230529_House Martin @ St Fitticks.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 3
  • BW230529_Barn Swallow @ St Fitticks .jpg
    BW230529_Barn Swallow @ St Fitticks .jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 2
The gate to the outer breakwater was unlocked, with people strolling around, and there were just some gulls present.
Pity nobody can wedge the door open. Would make it easier for the swallows. Always worried when workers or the wind blew the door closed. How many chicks and even parents dies, trapped in there? At least the window can't be closed.

Pity nobody can wedge the door open. Would make it easier for the swallows. Always worried when workers or the wind blew the door closed. How many chicks and even parents dies, trapped in there? At least the window can't be closed.
Cucurrucucu
I'm not sure where you're referring to, but the unlocked gate was to the South Breakwater.

I had a quick walk around on Tuesday, I didn't see much at all. But I had a Skylark land quite close to me as I was crossing the golf course. Also Reed Bunting showing well at St Fittick's.

Barry

Attachments

• BW230530_Skylark @ Girdleness .jpg
    BW230530_Skylark @ Girdleness .jpg
    649.3 KB · Views: 2
  • BW230530_ReedBunting @St Fitticks .jpg
    BW230530_ReedBunting @St Fitticks .jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 2
  • BW230530_Meadow Pipit @ Girdleness .jpg
    BW230530_Meadow Pipit @ Girdleness .jpg
    713 KB · Views: 2
Cucurrucucu
I'm not sure where you're referring to, but the unlocked gate was to the South Breakwater.
The swallows nest in the sheds on the South Breakwater every year.
One is open at the moment but could blow or be pulled closed. The window is broken so it isn't as likely to trap the swallows as it has been in previous years. 1685649709175.png

A bit cooler here for the start of summer. I had an interesting look around the headland and got the feeling there might have been more to be found if I'd had more time. A few waders were still going through, including a very nice group of four Sanderling in various plumages. They were with a Dunlin and ten Turnstones. I was mildly surprised to see a female Wheatear in Walker Park. It's not the first time I've had a Wheatear in June, although I always wonder what these late birds are up to. I had a short seawatch and would probably liked to have had longer. Two Arctic Skuas, four Manx Shearwaters and five Red-throated Divers showed some promise. Four Harbour Porpoises added to this week's cetacean list.

Attachments

• Sanderling_Girdle Ness_010623a.jpg
    Sanderling_Girdle Ness_010623a.jpg
    778.1 KB · Views: 10
  • Sanderling_Girdle Ness_010623b.jpg
    Sanderling_Girdle Ness_010623b.jpg
    688.9 KB · Views: 10
  • Sedge Warbler_Girdle Ness_290523a.jpg
    Sedge Warbler_Girdle Ness_290523a.jpg
    392.1 KB · Views: 10
Have been out a bit over the past couple of days, mainly hoping for something 'interesting' singing around St Fittick's. Yesterday evening was pretty quiet, aside from a calling Water Rail and the expected Black Guillemot in Nigg Bay.

I was there fairly early this morning but again there wasn't anything out of the ordinary. I saw my first Redpoll for a week or two and it was reassuring to see a few Willow Warblers carrying lots of food for unseen youngsters. The most notable sighting came as I headed back through Torry and picked out a flock of eight geese heading north. As they turned eastwards I was mildly surprised to see they were Greylag Geese, presumably on moult migration.

I went round the headland through the middle of the day. The main birds of note were a couple of Dunlin in Greyhope Bay. There was quite a striking size difference between the two and the larger bird was also a presumed immature bird without a black belly. It was a really massive thing, with a long bill and long legs (one of which was lame). Certainly suggestive of something other than the usual 'alpina' birds we get in spring, although it will be hard to pin down where it might have come from or be heading to.

Attachments

• Dunlin_Girdle Ness_030623a.jpg
    Dunlin_Girdle Ness_030623a.jpg
    642.7 KB · Views: 10
  • Dunlin_Girdle Ness_030623b.jpg
    Dunlin_Girdle Ness_030623b.jpg
    517 KB · Views: 10
  • Dunlin_Girdle Ness_030623c.jpg
    Dunlin_Girdle Ness_030623c.jpg
    396.1 KB · Views: 10
  • Dunlin_Girdle Ness_030623d.jpg
    Dunlin_Girdle Ness_030623d.jpg
    592.7 KB · Views: 10
Are all your regular places within walking distance of your home or do you need to travel to them? It must be great to have regular sightings of cetaceans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back