• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds in Ceara, Brazil (1 Viewer)

LaplandBunting

United Kingdom
Hi all

I have a few more Brazilian birds I would be grateful for some assistance in identifying:

1. Yellow Tyrannulet? - a small passerine with a very bright yellow underbelly and darker top half; about half the size of the nearby Tropical Kingbirds. It was perched on the overhead wires (see attached picture which may assist with jizz).

2. Some Dove sp. seen on the road and surrounds. They are all grey, much like Collared Doves at home but perhaps slightly smaller. I know there are a few similar Dove species in this region, but any tips of how to narrow it down (e.g. habitat, size) might help get closer to an ID.

3. Some Blackbirds/Cowbirds seen in the beachside vegetation. They were all black, with fanned tails, slightly larger than a common Blackbird. That may not be enough for an ID but thought it was worth a try.

4. Some (seemingly) Swifts seen whizzing over the beach at dusk (so perhaps bats but I don't think so). They were all brown, very small and very agile.

I appreciate these descriptions may not be very helpful or there may be several species which match them, but I thought I'd post them just to see.

Many thanks in advance as always.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220711-173400_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220711-173400_Gallery.jpg
    604.2 KB · Views: 29
I think the bird in the photo is a Bananaquit.
Thanks both - I would be inclined to agree with this, it was definitely half the size of the Kingbirds which were close enough to compare the size relatively accurately.

I think 4. must be either a Sick's Swift or Band-rumped Swift - not sure which would be more likely based on my description of habitat, location, etc.

1 is definitely not yellow tyrannulet: behaviour completely wrong. Image probably tropical kingbird. I can't see a bananaquit, although I could make it into a cattle tyrant (more often on the ground, though)

2 sounds like a ground dove

For 3 check shiny cowbird. It doesn't match the description of a fanned tail (sounds more like a grackle) but it's probably the commonest

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back