• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds in Cumbria (1 Viewer)

waxwings

I've not seen a waxwing in about three years now and I'm really getting so uptight about it that I've had to satisfy myself with reading about other people seeing them. Both Craig and Nick's photos make me green with envy. Very nice. Back over in the UK this christmas so I hope there's a few left for me...

all the best to you all

I've not seen a waxwing in about three years now and I'm really getting so uptight about it that I've had to satisfy myself with reading about other people seeing them. Both Craig and Nick's photos make me green with envy. Very nice. Back over in the UK this christmas so I hope there's a few left for me...

all the best to you all

Thanks Stephen. hope you catch up with them soon.

Hi all travelling back from Carlisle on A689 at 16.05hrs this
afternoon had a Red Kite fly low over road heading south some 300
metres west of the Golden Fleece public house near Ruleholme. To much
traffic and no bins so unable to stop to get a better look,not sure if
wing tagged or not.

Stewart

30 Waxwings in Carlton Village, Penrith, at 1.30 yesterday (Sunday). Feeding on the berries
opposite and a bit further along from the Cross Keys pub. There seems to be plenty of berries on the trees, so the birds should stick around for a while with any luck. Easy
parking/viewing from the southern end of Frenchfield Gardens.

...and a Merry Christmas to everyone.

New Year's Day - went for an afternoon walk around Grune Point; cold, but a gentle breeze, and an incoming tide, though rather dark and cloudy.

Plenty of Redshanks, Oystercatchers, and Dunlins. Also a few Godwits, several Ringed Plovers, a first winter Long Tailed Duck (thanks for the confirmation Craig), 2 Turnstones, a pair of RB Mergansers, and 3 Scaup.

All in all, a pleasing start to the year. :t:

Last edited:
Great birding day here.Shelducks,Turnstones,Scaup,Oystercatchers, Dunlin,Ringed Plovers,Redshanks,Red Breasted Mergansers,all in HaveriggBay.Grt Tits,BlueTits,LTTtits, Dunnocks,many many Robins,many many Blackbirds ,GSPWoodie,Bullfinches all to be seen at the entrance to the Hodbarrow reserve.Pied Wagtail,Grey Wagtail in the river,,wren,plus the usual Gulls etc,and the KF has been seen every morning at 8am on our harbour bridge.Oh,Kestrels hunting locally ,seen 3/4 times per day,plus a Peregrine Falcon.I think there may be more species to be seen,the above is just a small selection.

Spent most of today plodding around Cliburn Moss. VERY cold, and my habit of finding a likely spot and just sitting quietly, waiting for the wildlife to come to me didn't make it any warmer! However, I was rewarded with LTTs, Blue Tits, Redpolls, Goldcrests, Wrens, Fieldfare, GSW, 2 Bullfinches, and 2 Woodcock. 3 red squirrels were the icing on the cake...not that I needed any further 'icing'.

The Drake Smew is still there this morning, you may need a scope to see the bird
Ian

Smew was absent when I arrived at around 1.00pm, but flew in as I was looking for him. Landed in the bay behind the island, and continued to show well in that area, but with frequent visits out into more open water. First time I've seen one, and I was surprised at how fast they move, both on the surface, and below.

Attachments

• DSC_0550a.jpg
    DSC_0550a.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
found juv iceland gull at maryport this morning, little gull off workington and med gull at flimy.

Attachments

• Juv-Iceland-GullB.jpg
    Juv-Iceland-GullB.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 63
  • Adult-Med-Gulllol.jpg
    Adult-Med-Gulllol.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 61
Iceland Gull

1st winter Iceland Gull on the pipe across the river at 10am.
Workington quiet but had a Rock Pipit and a Raven.
Drumburgh marsh Little Egret flushed by a tractor.
Ian

Attachments

• 1st Winter Iceland Gull Maryport.jpg
    1st Winter Iceland Gull Maryport.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 81
Iceland Gull still in Maryport.

Had a nice aftenoon at Grune.
2 Long-tailed Duck
2 Little Stint
2 Merlin
1 Short-eared Owl
Scaup
Pintail etc.

pics of Little Stint, Long-tailed Duck and Scaup.

Attachments

• Little-StintC.jpg
    Little-StintC.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 78
  • Long-tailed-duckAA.jpg
    Long-tailed-duckAA.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 66
  • Scaup2.jpg
    Scaup2.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 67
Reserve Manager said there was a Crossbill at Cliburn Moss today. I searched, but found no sign of it (possibly due to the gang of tree-fellers with chainsaws?)

Anyone got any other good spots for Crossbills?

Huge skeins of Geese around during the last few days.They seem to be flying down from the north of the county.Also large flocks of Lapwings arriving.Must be the cold weather pushing the birds to our secluded little bay(we have no snow!!!!).

Reserve Manager said there was a Crossbill at Cliburn Moss today. I searched, but found no sign of it (possibly due to the gang of tree-fellers with chainsaws?)

Anyone got any other good spots for Crossbills?

The visitor centre at winlatter is always a good spot although i havnt looked this year.

The visitor centre at winlatter is always a good spot although i havnt looked this year.

Cheers Craig - I'm often in that area, so I'll take a look next time.

BTW, was that your MG parked at Soddy last Sunday morning? I did have a quick look around, but the biting wind got the better of me, so my apologies if I missed you ;)

Steve.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back