• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds in Kingman, AZ (2 Viewers)

Emily Taylor

Wolfess
United States
So what bird species can I look forward to seeing around town this time of year? (No advice of going out of town, kingman area only plz)

Oh and I just got a new Celestron 100mm ultima scope (im poor)

Last edited:
Go to ebird, then select Explore Data, then Explore a Region, then click on Browse Hotspot Map. A world map should come up....keep zooming in and centering the map until you see Kingman on the map....zoom further in and you will see some "balloons". Click on one of the balloons and then click view details and a list of species sighted will come up. You can sort by month...in December at Metcalfe Park 17 species have been seen.

Seven species of hummingbirds, for a start. Would gladly exchange a few of my local birds for one hummingbird. 18 species of warblers and the like, including Painted Redstart. Some charismatic wrens: Cactus Wren and Canyon Wren. The famous Greater Roadrunner: Top 5 of 2023. The cute Bushtit, the only member of Category:Aegithalidae - BirdForum Opus in the New World, and the equally lovable Verdin - BirdForum Opus, the only member of Category:Remizidae - BirdForum Opus in the New World. Also, the bizarre Phainopepla, the sky-coloured Western Bluebird, and many more: you can download Merlin and type 'Kingman' into the search field. There is a chance for some Mexican vagrants once in a while as well. Enjoy!

PS Have a look at last year's yard list (with some photos) by birdmeister who lives in Southern Arizona: Search results.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240102-122358_Merlin Bird ID.jpg
    Screenshot_20240102-122358_Merlin Bird ID.jpg
    636.4 KB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot_20240102-131559_Merlin Bird ID.jpg
    Screenshot_20240102-131559_Merlin Bird ID.jpg
    458.5 KB · Views: 3
  • if you like woodpeckers.jpg
    if you like woodpeckers.jpg
    703.2 KB · Views: 2
  • some rare ones.jpg
    some rare ones.jpg
    516.1 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Seven species of hummingbirds, for a start. Would gladly exchange a few of my local birds for one hummingbird. 18 species of warblers and the like, including Painted Redstart. Some charismatic wrens: Cactus Wren and Canyon Wren. The famous Greater Roadrunner: Top 5 of 2023. The cute Bushtit, the only member of Category:Aegithalidae - BirdForum Opus in the New World, and the equally lovable Verdin - BirdForum Opus, the only member of Category:Remizidae - BirdForum Opus in the New World. Also, the bizarre Phainopepla, the sky-coloured Western Bluebird, and many more: you can download Merlin and type 'Kingman' into the search field. There is a chance for some Mexican vagrants once in a while as well. Enjoy!

PS Have a look at last year's yard list (with some photos) by birdmeister who lives in Southern Arizona: Search results.

Indeed, I spent the afternoon taking a look all over town today and had finally had some good luck searching the deserts north of the Community College. I also saw the Ladderback woodpecker while at the Lewis Kingman Park hotspot. I've been trying to get hummingbirds myself for over a decade and their tricky little ones but I did manage to get one half decent photo of one back in 2021, I went through my archives and did a big database dump onto eBird so you'll see a Black-Chinned on my profile there now. A few months later I actually managed to get really close to one on a garden wall but didn't have my telephoto lens on me too.

Here's one of my last checklist of today from the short walk north of the college. https://ebird.org/checklist/S157912902

I'm glad I'm not the only person with single-digit winter checklists!

Hey my House Finch count was in the triple digits for that day :ROFLMAO:

Quality over quantity I always say, it's all about the birds more than the numbers for me. Plus out here I'm gonna need an RV, lots of free time, and pricier glass to do any more than that. I'm really only keeping track for the life list but eBird makes you submit checklist style so I just went with it, it'll help me keep everything more organized again so I can rebuild since I lost the original lifelist notebook 11 years ago when moving here.

Not sure about the pricier glass--this is what I use (photo below). I even wanted to change my bins and decided I would, but--then--I thought: 'where does it end?' and 'how much do I really need it?', and ultimately stayed with what I have. Its cover is made of cast iron or something, but--after a quick look in the web--I still found it to be surprisingly light compared to most other models. Not enough for distant wader/shorebird watching but otherwise OK.

Attachments

• P1180216.JPG
    P1180216.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 2
Don't know what it's like in parts of Arizona, but I mostly go birding either using public transport (bus, metro and tram, or even train if it's farther away) or on foot/by bike (at least before I did my saddle for good). There's even a whole thread here devoted to listing birds seen while walking/cycling in Lists & Members Yearly Lists (also the yard listing thread elsewhere).

If not too late to add, during the pandemic i visited Hualapai campground late May about 10 minutes out of Kingman looking for several birds of interest and saw about 20 different species including several lifers like Grace Warbler, Painted Redstart, mountain Chicadee and zone-tailed Hawk to name a few. Good birding!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back