• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds in Recife, Brazil (1 Viewer)

LaplandBunting

United Kingdom
Hi all

I am currently in Brazil but have little knowledge of the local birds. I have identified most of what I've seen using field guides but am unsure on a few (most of which I only have a description for rather than pictures I'm afraid). Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

1. Some kind of Swallow (White-rumped or Blue & White?) or Martin (Grey-breasted?) - see picture.

2. Two vultures which were all black but had white rumps - seen in flight only.

3. A vulture/hawk which had a red beak, whitish face and black body - seen on the ground on the road side.

4. A bird with a long tail like an Ani but that had a whitish/pale breast - seen sat on overhead telegraph wires.

5. A vulture which was all black but with a whitish/pale face - seen sat on a telegraph pole.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220706-164726_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220706-164726_Gallery.jpg
    818.6 KB · Views: 20
1. I don't think this is a Martin; seems to be too clean a demarcation between upper and lower colours for that. I think the vent is white excluding blue and white swallow. So perhaps (e.g.) white-winged. I don't think it's possible to be sure.

2. Not vultures unless you mis-saw black vultures (e.g. due to lighting effects). Hawks of some kind perhaps. Description roughly matches black caracara but that is not there

3. Turkey vulture?

4. Guira Cuckoo?

5. See comment against 2. Unlikely a vulture, suggest

Edit: For the "vultures", check (e.g.) great black hawk

Last edited:
Thanks both. I think all of those are spot on - that's really helpful and I've learned a lot!

I also saw a brownish/redish-backed Cuckoo with a long tail sat on the telegraph wires somewhere between Fortaleza and Natal. I was thinking Dark-billed or Yellow-billed - could it have been either or is one more common than the other?

Thanks both. I think all of those are spot on - that's really helpful and I've learned a lot!

I also saw a brownish/redish-backed Cuckoo with a long tail sat on the telegraph wires somewhere between Fortaleza and Natal. I was thinking Dark-billed or Yellow-billed - could it have been either or is one more common than the other?
Squirrel Cuckoo is usually commonest if it's there

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back