• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds in St James' Park, England (1 Viewer)

UKBirder23

My sister took some videos of some birds in St James' Park, and I was helping her ID all the birds later on. Two have me stumped. The first two photos, I know the Black Swan, of course, but can anyone please ID the bird in the water behind it? The third photo looks like a hybrid Tufted Duck - but if so, any guesses what it's a hybrid with? Thank you all!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 54
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 54
  • Tufted Duck hybrid.jpg
    Tufted Duck hybrid.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 54
The "tufted duck" isn't a hybrid, it's a rosy-billed Pochard part of the captive collection there. Out of focus behind the black swan is a chiloe wigeon (likewise). In theory this forum doesn't accept captive birds but...

Thank you both, very helpful.
Fern, I'm curious what the line is on captive birds. I just did some quick research and eBird lists the Chiloe Wigeon and Rosy-Billed Pochards in St James' Park as escapees - if that's true, are they really captive birds? I've always been curious about how to deal with escapees on life birding lists!

I am pretty certain the Rosybill at least is wingclipped, and so could only leave the park on foot; captive to all intents and purposes. For eBird, I guess Escaped is a reasonable term for something that appears to live (more or less) as a wild bird so ends up being reported to them.

Thank you both, very helpful.
Fern, I'm curious what the line is on captive birds. I just did some quick research and eBird lists the Chiloe Wigeon and Rosy-Billed Pochards in St James' Park as escapees - if that's true, are they really captive birds? I've always been curious about how to deal with escapees on life birding lists!
Well maybe escapes but more likely not. Check if the wings are clipped (feathers clipped or part of wing surgically removed).

There are plenty of escapes but also ebirders who disregard requests not to record collection birds (or who know no better). Incidentally, I'd take ebird's asterisks with a pinch of salt

There is a fully winged Black Swan sometimes seen in St. James's Park that is also turns up in Hyde Park/Kensington Gardens (it was on the Round Pond yesterday), but this may still be a pinioned bird in your photo? Should be easy to see this in the field. The Rosybill is a collection bird.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back