• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds of prey boom - but eagles and harriers still face persecution (1 Viewer)

Chris Monk

Birds of prey boom - but eagles and harriers still face persecution

By Michael McCarthy, Environment Editor, The Independent

Published: 12 September 2006

Britain's birds of prey are doing better than ever before in modern times - with two notable exceptions.

Many of the 15 species of eagles, buzzards, hawks and falcons that currently breed in Britain are on an upward curve, expanding both their numbers and their range, some spectacularly.

But their success is thrown into sharp relief by the continuing struggle of one raptor to survive - the hen harrier, a bird of the heather moorlands which comes into direct conflict with grouse-shooting. It remains dangerously vulnerable to persecution despite a record number of chicks hatched in England this year, conservationists said yesterday.

The other raptor suffering sporadic persecution is the most majestic of all, the golden eagle; two eagles have been poisoned in Scotland in the past six months and last week a £10,000 reward was offered for information leading to the conviction of the culprits.

However, most of the other species are flourishing, as is interest in them. Last year, according to the Royal Society for the Protection of Birds, nearly half a million people visited RSPB viewing sites specially set up for birds of prey.

"Many of our birds of prey are enjoying fantastic success with increasing populations after years of sustained declines," said an RSPB spokesman, Graham Madge. "The success of bird protection laws and reintroduction schemes have helped birds like the red kite, osprey and white-tailed eagle regain a talon-hold on parts of their former range. It is believed that Mull's white-tailed eagles bring more than £1m to the island's tourism economy.

"Sadly, some of the deep-seated attitudes which led to the historic decline of birds of prey are still badly affecting some species, notably the hen harrier and golden eagle. Persecution is still a major threat to these species and is hampering their recovery."

English Nature, the Government's wildlife agency, said yesterday that the hen harrier was still threatened by persecution and the population was a "pale shadow" of what it could be.

It said 46 chicks hatched this year in 12 nests - the highest number since monitoring began in 2002. But the organisation warned that breeding was limited to one area, the Forest of Bowland in Lancashire, and birds continued to disappear from their nests in suspected attacks.

Away from the area monitored by English Nature and the RSPB, about 60 per cent of nesting attempts had failed, and persecution was suspected.

A major cause for concern is that the hen harrier is disliked by many estate owners because it eats red grouse chicks, affecting the number of grouse available to shoot during the autumn.

How many raptors are there?

* Golden eagle: 442 pairs, stable, concerns over large gaps in range, especially near grouse moors.

* Hen harrier: 806 pairs, mainly in Scotland. England population still perilously low because of persecution.

* White-tailed eagle: 33 pairs, increasing slowly after reintroduction.

* Buzzard: 39,000 pairs, spreading and increasing.

* Honey buzzard: 60-plus pairs, probably stable.

* Osprey: about 200 pairs, increasing and range expanding in Scotland, England and Wales.

* Red kite: 600-plus pairs, increasing everywhere.

* Sparrowhawk: 34,500 pairs, stabilised in past decade.

* Goshawk: 400-plus pairs, increasing in association with conifer plantations.

* Marsh harrier: 350 breeding females. 200-year high, up from one pair in 1971.

* Montagu's harrier: 13 pairs, probably stable.

* Peregrine: 1,440 pairs, increased from low point in 1960s. Spreading in England, but going down in Scotland.

* Hobby: 1,000-plus pairs, rocketing population. The only raptor to be significantly more common than at any other time in history.

* Merlin: 1,330 pairs. Population probably stable after earlier increase.

* Kestrel: 36,800 pairs. In trouble, but for natural reasons, not persecution. A quarter have disappeared since 1970, largely because of the loss of rough grassland.

Last edited:
I think to point the finger solely at human persecution is wrong. I do not think that every bird of prey could possibly boom in numbers at the same time. Many will feed on similar things and one animal's gain is another's loss. At some point numbers will have to decrease to make way for thriving species. If red kites continue the way they are going then there is no doubt in my mind that buzzard numbers will come down - the birds are too similar and ultimately the most equipt for survival will come out on top.

Last edited:
boddie said:
If red kites continue the way they are going then there is no doubt in my mind that buzzard numbers will come down - the birds are too similar and ultimately the most equipt for survival will come out on top.

Presumably there must be some subtle difference in ecology between these two species as they are able to coexist across a large part of Europe. Obviously their populations will not increase indefinitely but I think that there are still large parts of the UK where these species have not reached anything like full capacity.

It seems to be a uniquely British concern to worry about whether there are (or are going to be) too many birds of prey. It is a legacy of the Victorian enthusiasm for raptor persecution, which means that our society has not been used to seeing healthy raptor populations for 200 years or so.

Anyone who has travelled in other parts of Europe will have seen that many areas support huge numbers of buzzards, black and red kites etc. There is no reason why Britain should be any different.

Capercaillie71 said:
Presumably there must be some subtle difference in ecology between these two species as they are able to coexist across a large part of Europe. Obviously their populations will not increase indefinitely but I think that there are still large parts of the UK where these species have not reached anything like full capacity.

It seems to be a uniquely British concern to worry about whether there are (or are going to be) too many birds of prey. It is a legacy of the Victorian enthusiasm for raptor persecution, which means that our society has not been used to seeing healthy raptor populations for 200 years or so.

Anyone who has travelled in other parts of Europe will have seen that many areas support huge numbers of buzzards, black and red kites etc. There is no reason why Britain should be any different.

Sure, but the birds could not co-exist with buzzards remaining as abundant as they are now. I think buzzard populations are so high becasue there is not another raptor out there doing the same thing, the red kite boom will surely hamper numbers. I'm not worried about this happening, just remarking on the 2 birds co-existing.

Any info on owl numbers, I assume they avoid direct persecution?

boddie said:
Sure, but the birds could not co-exist with buzzards remaining as abundant as they are now. I think buzzard populations are so high becasue there is not another raptor out there doing the same thing, the red kite boom will surely hamper numbers. I'm not worried about this happening, just remarking on the 2 birds co-existing.

In the area around my home there is an abundance of rabbits and small woodlands and buzzard nests are very regularly spaced at intervals (about 800 metres apart). Presumably this means the habitat is fully saturated with buzzards and there is no room for any more. It would be interesting to know what would happen to the Buzzard density if Red Kites spread into the area. Unfortunately I don't see much chance of that happening given the current constraints on the north Scotland kite population.

One thing that tends to be overlooked when assuming these population increases, is that there are now more birdwatchers/observers recording than ever used to be the case, so it seems to me there are bound to be more birds accounted for. I know that my area alone is now fairly well covered by many birders, both on a regular basis and sparodically by holiday birders. When I first started working this area, (whole of north Sutherland and Caithness) there were just 2 of us who virtually lived on the hill. We covered a lot of ground but we couldn't cover everything, it was just too large an area. Over the years we've passed on much information that is proving very usefull to others who are now working the area, this accumulation of data saves a lot of time and effort when recording Raptor breeding successes, or not, leaving much more time to search for new territories and possible new breeding sites. Many of the Peregrine sites that were re-occupied in the 70's and 80's are now empty again, reason not really known, but persecution cannot be ruled out in many cases! Merlin and Hen Harrier numbers have dropped dramatically in the last 3 to 4 years, mainly due to the criminal behaviour of local crofters burning the heather year after year, thoasands of acres gone up in smoke, probably will never grow back!

A lot of the population figures quoted are not really increases in population, for instance, Golden Eagle has hardly changed in the last 50 years, Merlins are probably down at the number quoted! Hen Harriers, the figure of 806 pairs seems extremely high to me, not sure if that shouldn't be 403 pairs (806 birds). The upward trend of Honey's and Hobby's is welcome, probably due to the effect of global warming? Osprey's are nowhere near the levels they could be, it's taken a long time for them to reach 200 pairs. Against all the odds Goshawks are doing reasonably well at 400 plus pairs, it's been a long hard slog from the late 60's early 70's when we had to provide 24 hour protection for the odd nests in the Peak District. I remember one year we located 21 occupied nests, only to have 19 of them robbed of either eggs or young.

nirofo.

Last edited:
boddie said:

As Capercaillie says, this does not seem to be the case in other parts of Europe. In parts of France, Germany etc there are more buzzards than anywhere in Britain - and loads of kites, red and black as well! When you see the densities of birds of prey in these areas, you realise that there is still a huge capacity for increase in the UK.

In the CHilterns, buzzards have increased dramatically since the kites were introduced.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back