• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds Of prey Maspalomas Gran Canaria (1 Viewer)

Ianmoo

IanMoors
This bird was seen pertched in a pine tree at Maspalomas twice (think it's the same bird)
The 2nd time it chased of the bird that isn't so clear and it looked a different type.
Not posted for quite a while so hope I have done it right.
Many thanks for your help.

Attachments

• DSC00017.JPG
    DSC00017.JPG
    369.3 KB · Views: 135
  • DSC00019.JPG
    DSC00019.JPG
    290.4 KB · Views: 112
  • DSC00152.JPG
    DSC00152.JPG
    556.8 KB · Views: 117
  • DSC00158.JPG
    DSC00158.JPG
    604.5 KB · Views: 130
  • DSC00149 (2).JPG
    DSC00149 (2).JPG
    210.4 KB · Views: 139
Not sure on the hybridisation level of Barbary on Gran Canaria. Was out with a guide on Tenerife who said almost all of the ones there carry some signs of hybridisation

I agree
Please read this as for identification to subspecies, to my eyes it is closer to pelegrinoides anyway
file:///C:/Users/Conzemius/T%C3%A9l%C3%A9chargements/Rodrguezetal.2011Bull.BOC131140-153variablecolorationofBarbary2.pdf
OK simple old me is getting confused are we saying the last picture is a Kestrel?

OK simple old me is getting confused are we saying the last picture is a Kestrel?
  • The last picture is a Kestrel
  • There is a mixture of pelegrinoides (sometimes considered good species) and brookei now on the Canary islands
  • Your bird is a juvenile with traits of pelegrinoides

• The last picture is a Kestrel
  • There is a mixture of pelegrinoides (sometimes considered good species) and brookei now on the Canary islands
  • Your bird is a juvenile with traits of pelegrinoides
So is it the Canary island Kestrel? It flew like a kestrel when it was disturbed

I agree
Please read this as for identification to subspecies, to my eyes it is closer to pelegrinoides anyway
file:///C:/Users/Conzemius/T%C3%A9l%C3%A9chargements/Rodrguezetal.2011Bull.BOC131140-153variablecolorationofBarbary2.pdf
I was reading this thread when I noticed the link doesn't work. I suppose it was meant to be an attachment?

EDIT: Sorry, I've found it now. For the sake of convenience: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...UQFnoECAwQAQ&usg=AOvVaw1L6q3cN0WSL2soO9vdUjvK

Attachments

• Rodriguez et al 2011 Bull BOC.pdf
    4.7 MB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back