• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birdwatching in Finland - Rovaniemi area (1 Viewer)

Hello Birders! I am traveling from the US to Finland to see a friend of mine who lives there now. We are doing some birding around the Espoo/Helsinki area of Finland so any information about that area is welcome but what I am really trying to find is any information about birding around the Rovaniemi area. We are flying up there for 3 days and want to do some dayhiking and birding but I am having a tough time finding any information about birds in that area. The best I could find was a breeding survey site that was put together in 2012 I think. I am definitely using that as a basis but I would love to hear from anyone with experience birding that area or around Lapland. Birds I can expect, what to look for and where. I would love to see Bluethroat, Siberian Jay, Gray Headed Chickadee and of course any owls or grouse species. Thank you for your help! I leave for Finland next Saturday and will be in Rovaniemi May 31-June 2.

Awesome! Thank you for the information. Any ideas on where I may be able to see a bluethroat or Siberian jay? Those are my two top wishlist birds.

Have a look at eBird - check the hotspots in the area(s) you are interested in

E.g. https://ebird.org/hotspot/L12591730

Also eBird can show you records in the region and you can then find where the birds you are interested in were last seen. This approach works best if you check regularly over the weeeks before you go as it updates regularly

Then there is the eBird polygon tool that can show you records in a user defined area. This can be found with a google search. Works best if you are logged out of eBird for some reason

Then finally you can look up species for their distribution maps.

Last edited:
Thanks. I definitely look at ebird but from those in Finland I've talked to the reason information is scarce on ebird is that they mostly use another birding site, Tiira, but it's in finnish. Up around Rovaniemi there may be only 1 ebird report ever from a location but I know there's more on Tiira I just can't read it.

I spent a few days around Rovaniemi in June 2008. It wasn't a dedicated birding trip but I did do some birding. I suspect your target species might be hard to find in the immediate areas around the city and probably won't be easy without a guide, even if you can get further afield. The birding is still reasonably good around the city and there are quite a few bird towers that should give good views over areas. Water birds e.g. Arctic Terns, waders, ducks should be easy to find. The best area of forest around the city is on a hill, I think Ounasvaara. I was told that Hazel Grouse can be found there, although I didn't see them myself. I suppose there might be interesting owls in the area, particularly if it's a good year for them, but they will probably be a challenge to find. I did see Siberian Jay on that trip (the only time I've ever seen it) but it was quite a bit north of the city at Sompio.

You can have your browser translate the Finnish in English.

I went to Lapland mid february. I had Kuukkeli eating out of my hand. Kuukkeli is Siberian Jay. I climbed the Sarkitunturi near Pallas-Yllastunturi NP in -25C and 3 ft of snow where we had Siberian Tit. I missed out the Pine Grosbeak but they were much norther near Inalo. You will love the country. The leaflet on Rovaniemi is a good start.

If you ever want to visit The Netherlands contact me. We are the European hub for migrants.

– Lapin lintutieteellinen yhdistys ry
https://www.rovaniemi.fi/loader.aspx?id=c999faf4-535f-4bd3-9d7a-ad2802a0d337

This page was very h

I went to Lapland mid february. I had Kuukkeli eating out of my hand. Kuukkeli is Siberian Jay. I climbed the Sarkitunturi near Pallas-Yllastunturi NP in -25C and 3 ft of snow where we had Siberian Tit. I missed out the Pine Grosbeak but they were much norther near Inalo. You will love the country. The leaflet on Rovaniemi is a good start.

If you ever want to visit The Netherlands contact me. We are the European hub for migrants.

Elpful.

This was very helpful and I can actually read it when translated. I tried to translate that finnish birding page Tiira but the English translation wasn't very good. Thank you for this link and I'd love to visit the Netherlands.

Hi

I went there December 2008 (so 14 years ago and different time of year), but Birdforum member CAU (Andreas) very kindly gave me this info, which may or may not be vaguely relevant now..........

"Hello Nick!

I assume your honeymoon is approaching. Here are some good (at least I hope so) places to visit in Rovaniemi:

Tavivaara
There should be a feeder at the graveyard at Tavivaara (probably at the place that I have marked on the map):
http://kansalaisen.karttapaikka.fi/...e=8000&tool=merkitse&styles=normal&lang=en-GB
It has been visited by a Grey-headed Woodpecker since October, and also Siberian Jays visit it regularly (but I assume that they might require some waiting). On December 9 the Siberian Jays visited the feeder at least at 10:40-11:00, and on December 6 at 12:30. The Grey-headed Woodpecker has visited it a bit after 9:00 and also after 14:00.

There are recent records of both Black Grouse and Capercaillie along the road that leads to Tavivaara, and I suspect that Hazelhen is also possible. Generally these birds often come to roads to eat gravel (they require that for their digestion), but they are easily flushed by cars. The forests around Tavivaara (and Rovaniemi in general) also hold Parrot Crossbills (and also Common, with very good luck even Two-barred is possible).

Susihukantie 9:
http://kansalaisen.karttapaikka.fi/...ded+Woodpecker&y=7381881&x=3449797&lang=en-GB
The feeder at this address is visited very regularly (i.e. daily) by a Grey-headed Woodpecker between 09:20-09:40 in the mornings and between 15:15-15:25 in the evenings. The woods contain both Common and Parrot Crossbills (but they might be difficult). The guy who lives in the house should be a birdwatcher (I don't know him personally), so if you can't see the feeder from the road, you can always try to knock on the door. On December 10 he saw a Hazelhen about 200 m W into the woods, and at least in October there was a Three-toed woodpecker in the same woods (about 200 m to NW from the house).

Other birds
There should be flocks of Waxwings (with e.g. a flock of 1000 on December 8), Mealy Redpolls and Pine Grosbeaks lingering around the town. The Redpoll flocks often also contain Arctic Redpolls. The Pine Grosbeaks move around quite a lot, I can try to post some locations just before your trip (and also during it, if you have Internet access). Hopefully there are still some Rowan berries left at Christmas... There are also some Pygmy Owls hanging around, but AFAIK there are no regular sites for them (with good luck you can see one almost everywhere). Black Woodpecker should be present in the woods, but it's quite scarce (there are no recent sightings).

I've never been birding in Rovaniemi, except once when I twitched a Caspian Plover (and that was in late spring), so this information relies only on reports.

Best regards,
Andreas Uppstu

You might be lucky with the mosquitos - when I was up there, Lapland, they only came out in mid June but be prepared.

I can only reiterate that a guide or even a 'birding pal' is the best way forward. Up to date information is key and knowing calls because sometimes a wall of trees can be soul destroying!

You might be lucky with the mosquitos - when I was up there, Lapland, they only came out in mid June but be prepared.

I can only reiterate that a guide or even a 'birding pal' is the best way forward. Up to date information is key and knowing calls because sometimes a wall of trees can be soul destroying!
Thanks for the heads up about mosquitos. I actually have a Birding Pal meeting us in Lohja near where my friend lives in Espoo so Im excited about that! I think I have the southern part of Finland covered so its been nice getting some pointers for the Rova area.

Hi

I went there December 2008 (so 14 years ago and different time of year), but Birdforum member CAU (Andreas) very kindly gave me this info, which may or may not be vaguely relevant now..........

"Hello Nick!

I assume your honeymoon is approaching. Here are some good (at least I hope so) places to visit in Rovaniemi:

Tavivaara
There should be a feeder at the graveyard at Tavivaara (probably at the place that I have marked on the map):
http://kansalaisen.karttapaikka.fi/...e=8000&tool=merkitse&styles=normal&lang=en-GB
It has been visited by a Grey-headed Woodpecker since October, and also Siberian Jays visit it regularly (but I assume that they might require some waiting). On December 9 the Siberian Jays visited the feeder at least at 10:40-11:00, and on December 6 at 12:30. The Grey-headed Woodpecker has visited it a bit after 9:00 and also after 14:00.

There are recent records of both Black Grouse and Capercaillie along the road that leads to Tavivaara, and I suspect that Hazelhen is also possible. Generally these birds often come to roads to eat gravel (they require that for their digestion), but they are easily flushed by cars. The forests around Tavivaara (and Rovaniemi in general) also hold Parrot Crossbills (and also Common, with very good luck even Two-barred is possible).

Susihukantie 9:
http://kansalaisen.karttapaikka.fi/...ded+Woodpecker&y=7381881&x=3449797&lang=en-GB
The feeder at this address is visited very regularly (i.e. daily) by a Grey-headed Woodpecker between 09:20-09:40 in the mornings and between 15:15-15:25 in the evenings. The woods contain both Common and Parrot Crossbills (but they might be difficult). The guy who lives in the house should be a birdwatcher (I don't know him personally), so if you can't see the feeder from the road, you can always try to knock on the door. On December 10 he saw a Hazelhen about 200 m W into the woods, and at least in October there was a Three-toed woodpecker in the same woods (about 200 m to NW from the house).

Other birds
There should be flocks of Waxwings (with e.g. a flock of 1000 on December 8), Mealy Redpolls and Pine Grosbeaks lingering around the town. The Redpoll flocks often also contain Arctic Redpolls. The Pine Grosbeaks move around quite a lot, I can try to post some locations just before your trip (and also during it, if you have Internet access). Hopefully there are still some Rowan berries left at Christmas... There are also some Pygmy Owls hanging around, but AFAIK there are no regular sites for them (with good luck you can see one almost everywhere). Black Woodpecker should be present in the woods, but it's quite scarce (there are no recent sightings).

I've never been birding in Rovaniemi, except once when I twitched a Caspian Plover (and that was in late spring), so this information relies only on reports.

Best regards,
Andreas Uppstu
Awesome information! Thank you so much!

Last time I was in Finland I got information translated by a Finnish birder. I got the bird and the co-ordinates. I literally got River Warbler and Ural Owl by stopping the car opening the window and hearing/seeing the bird! Ok in fairness I did get out of the car and I had to express my displeasure that the co-ordinates were 5m out!

Maybe your Birding Pal in Helsinki will do the same.

The info came from Tiira

Users who are viewing this thread

Back