• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birdwatching in Finland - Rovaniemi area (1 Viewer)

I did a walk with my first wife through Pallas-Yllastunturi National Park in late June 1985(!), staying at wilderness huts, so my information is definitely out of date, and my primary interest was botany at the time...however, I saw both Siberian jay and bluethroats, as well as breeding bar-tailed godwits and wood sandpipers. Top birding experience, and one that has stayed in memory ever since, was four long-tailed skuas / jaegers flying overhead early one morning shortly after we set off from the hut.
I found my old notebook a while back, and had described an unseen bird call which I'm fairly certain now was red-flanked bluetail - didn't expect them at that time in that part of Finland.
I'd second @rosbifs comments about mosquitos - when we were there (27-30 June) they were pretty bad, although OK in open areas when there was some wind. Everyone said we should've been there about 2 weeks earlier - the downside is I think the huts were a lot busier then, as those in the know go before the mosquito emergence.

I am especially looking for bird feeder locations! Can anyone help perhaps?
Can't help you with the feeders in the city but please check info below about places just outside the town. As implied earlier, the tiira.fi server is the Finnish version of eBird. Using Google translate you might be able to make sense of the observations. Here is a a link to English "abstract" of the most interesting finds in all of Lapland each day with address/location in Finnish – Lapin lintutieteellinen yhdistys ry

Another link to a pdf file of the best birding hotspots around Rovaniemi: https://www.rovaniemi.fi/loader.aspx?id=c999faf4-535f-4bd3-9d7a-ad2802a0d337 (EDIT: changed to an English link)

The document claims that there are winter feeders at Ounasvaara hill and I'm copy pasting instructions for finding the from another site Lintupaikat – Lapin lintutieteellinen yhdistys ry.
"A group of birdwatchers maintain two bird feeding sites at Ounasvaara (see map above: Ounasvaaran ruokinta 1 and Ounasvaaran ruokinta 2). Travel guide: when you come from the city center of Rovaniemi, turn left to Hiihtomajantie. Pass Santasport sports center, and after about 500 m turn right to parking place. The first feeding site (Ounasvaaran ruokinta 1) is located just about 30 m north of the parking place, quite close to the walkway to Ounasvaara. It is hidden under the spruce trees, so look carefully to find it! The second site (Ounasvaaran ruokinta 2) is located at the campfire shelter, which can be reached through the winter walk trail / nature trail. This trail starts from the parking place, and the distance to campfire shelter is about 1,2 km. The bird species to be met: see Ounasvaaran ruokintojen lajisto – Lapin lintutieteellinen yhdistys ry. Best time to see birds (the time when the maintenance of the sites is active): from October to April."
These places are marked in the map as "Ounasvaaran ruokinta 1" and "Ounasvaaran ruokinta 2"

Oukun-ruokinnat-karttakuva-800x450.jpg

I have no first hand experience of these places, but wish you best of luck!

EDITS: changed links to English, added picture, tidied text after initial post made in a rush by a mobile phone.

Last edited:
Great, thank you very much!! I will be staying in a house in Ounasvaara so I will definitely do my best to find the sites!! I will report back after the trip (3 nights starting next Friday)!

I have just come back from a few days in Rovaniemi and despite not having a lot of time to go birding due to family obligations, I had a great time in Ounasvaara especially. I found both feeder sites: the one by the parking place (
66°29'52.3"N 25°47'00.1"E
https://maps.app.goo.gl/uWTna7RLFuByEiB18?g_st=ic) was a bit quiet with mainly squirrels and great tits visiting, whilst the one at the fire shelter (https://maps.app.goo.gl/ExuL8TkdBdYtipBa6?g_st=ic) was amazing! Very well-maintained and frequented by many birds (and a lot of fat squirrels): willow/great/blue/crested tits, Siberian jay, nutcracker, jay, greater spotted and grey-headed woodpeckers, lots of bullfinches, treecreeper. Photo opportunities were great! So I can very much recommend this site. Since the entire area was covered in about 50cm of snow, birdlife was very scarce

Very helpful thread! We're heading to this area next month (late Sept). Anyone have thoughts or experience on hiring a birding guide in the area?

Thanks.

Very helpful thread! We're heading to this area next month (late Sept). Anyone have thoughts or experience on hiring a birding guide in the area?

Thanks.

Hi Tony! Just wanted to jump in here and wish you a warm welcome to BirdForum :)

Went there last week.
On Friday we set off on a 4 hour walk around the winter walking trail on Ounasvaara . It was very cold. -27°C.
The best place for birds was on the feeders by the more isolated hut.
The feeders are behind the wood shed on the left in the photo.
Got to see my first 2 Siberian Jays.
Also saw Nutcracker , GSW , Redpoll & various tits.

Attachments

• 20240209_130729.jpg
    20240209_130729.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 23
Went there last week.
On Friday we set off on a 4 hour walk around the winter walking trail on Ounasvaara . It was very cold. -27°C.
The best place for birds was on the feeders by the more isolated hut.
The feeders are behind the wood shed on the left in the photo.
Got to see my first 2 Siberian Jays.
Also saw Nutcracker , GSW , Redpoll & various tits.
Nice photo - complete with fire, almost a centrally heated bird hide 😅

Users who are viewing this thread

Back