• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birdwatching in Iran (1 Viewer)

katastrofa

Supporter
Norway
Has anyone gone recently to Iran for birdwatching? I was wondering if taking a telephoto lens / binoculars there would be risky - would customs think it might be espionage equipment?

Last edited:
I have done three birding trips to Iran (albeit ten years ago now, but during a period when UK-Iran relations were worse than now) and there were no problems at all with optics, not on arrival nor anywhere around the country. I had both a telephoto lens and binoculars.

Iranians are amazingly friendly and hospitable, this including the police at checkpoints and the military where i encountered them (accidentally sitting against a wall of an army barracks overlooking a superb birding area on the Straits of Hormouz).

Naturally, should the strange desire appear to photograph army camps or the oil infrastructure in the south-east, they might take a more dim view of your actions :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back