• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birdwatching in Straits of Gibraltar & La Janda (2 Viewers)

Further to the above it is reported that the vultures were attacked whilst crossing the Bay of Algeciras by yellow legged gulls and were driven into the sea where they drowned.I have seen this happen with other raptor species including peregrine falcon.Often the larger birds, vultures and short toed eagles, are near exhaustion when they arrive on the northern shores and can fall easy victims of attcks by gulls.A very sad end for a great bird......Eddy

Look forward to it as usual John....Eddy

Thanks, Eddy.

Mainly very minor changes to text and maps. Two new sites in Appendix as both beyond Cadiz - aimed at those arriving form Malaga. Rio Guadalhorce (as much as anything to warn birders of thievery from cars) and Casares area (convenient site just off toll road for Black Wheatear & Wr Swift at Casares). Re-organised to put Gib (now with map) in appendix

I'm currently 'tweaking' my guide to birding in Cadiz Province, adding updates, further info (inc. on finding Dartfords, Niels), adding three new maps (and amending others). I hope to 'publish' it online (via ISSUU as usual) within the next week or two. Please contact me with any corrections, suggestions, comments, etc.,

I wish I had another week to go back there for birding! However, the rest of this year, work-related travel will take me to Miami, Cancun, and San Diego, with hopefully a little time for birding each place. Therefore, I really should not complain ;)

Niels

I have been in the UK for a week and from the lack of reports not much happening at the moment.No more news on the Bateleur eagle?......Eddy

My updated notes are now available please contact me via PM with your email address for a copy, check 'ISSUU' - http://issuu.com/johncantelo/docs/1_-_cadiz_birding__standard__2nd_ed - or have a look via my website (see below). Two new sites covered (both with maps) for those arriving via Malaga - Casares area& Guadalhorce (with warnings!). New map added for Gibraltar. Numerous corrections (mainly minor) and all sites reviewed (esp 'Bonanza Pools & Osuna). Particular thanks to Niels for his helpful comments. As always I will be revising the notes again in late autumn for which any suggestions, corrections and ideas would be most welcome.

Attachments

• KPreduced.png
    KPreduced.png
    175.9 KB · Views: 58
At the moment the ricefields on La Janda are full of water which makes for a rather industrialised landscape, but at least attracts a fair variety of birds.
This is a list of the principal species noted on 3 July.

Breeding cattle egrets and glossy ibis plus little egrets, grey herons, c10 spoonbills, white storks, mallard, 1 black kite, 2 Short-toed eagles, griffon vultures, 1 marsh harrier, purple gallinule, moorhen, hundreds of black-winged stilts, 1 avocet, many collared pratincoles, c 6 redshanks, c 4 green sandpiper, black-headed gulls, yellow-legged gulls, c10 gull-billed terns, swifts, 1 kingfisher, bee-eaters, 1 hoopoe, crested larks, red- rumped swallows, reed warblers, woodchat shrike, jackdaws.

Due to a family bereavement I havn´t posted lately or been out too much in the past four weeks but last Thursday I went out to La Janda with two friends and was saddened when we found three dead and squashed little owls on the road through the dehesa and further down on the road through the cattle egret colony found the bodies of three red necked nightjars.These were also flattened and all the birds had obviously been hit whilst on the ground by cars travelling through the area during darkness.Why people drive so fast on these roads beggars belief there is nothing we can do to prevent tragic deaths such as these.There are notices up to drive slowly to protect the game birds but these are ignored....Eddy

Rufus Bush robin

I thought I would post this picture of a rufus bush robin that I saw on top of a bush near Balonia Cadiz this morning not an easy bird to locate but learn it´s song and you can be rewarded.....Eddy

Attachments

• IMG_3054 (640x480).jpg
    IMG_3054 (640x480).jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 60
I thought I would post this picture of a rufus bush robin that I saw on top of a bush near Balonia Cadiz this morning not an easy bird to locate but learn it´s song and you can be rewarded.....Eddy

Good find, Eddy. I've found them one of the toughest birds to see in the area although it doesn't help that I'm often only around for when they start to arrive and back again when they're going!

Yesterday 14.07 saw the start of the Migres autumn count of southward migratory birds from the facilities of Cazalla,which by the way remain close but the area has been cleared of most of the tall vegetation and you won´t scratch your car driving up.1000 white storks and 60 black kites were seen.The storks which were mostly juveniles in gleaming fresh plumage made several attempts to cross in ideal conditions but were not seen to do so.The black kites went out of view in an easterly direction and were also not seen to cross.The reluctance of the storks to cross was in my opinion due to their nervousness on their first trip across water.As a result I went onto La Janda in the evening with a young Spanish film student with a view to seeing if the sorks had gone back to the rice paddies but onle about 200 wereseen.
Whilst driving along the main track a kestrel size bird was seen to go into a bush and on further observation it turned out to be a juvenile greater spotted cuckoo the first one I have seen on it´s southward journey.
On a sadder note 15 juvenile storks were electicuted late yeasterday on the Santuario Road out of Tarifa.Another bird was found alive but with two broken legs and this was taken to the rehabilitation centre.The department of the environment are investigating.
Migres staff are manning Cazalla from 9 till 5 every day and as always welcome visitors for a chat.....Eddy

I was at Cazalla for a few hours this PM and was rewarded by the sight of two Ruppell´s vultures at the same time together with a small number of Griffons.White stork totals for the day were 1300+,black kites 180+ one second year Egyptian vulture,a multitude 100´s of common and pallid swifts barn swallows and one montagues harrier.Wind today was force 4 with full sun and misty conditions in the straights.Assisting the Migres team this summer are Rob,Karyn and Emmy from Idaho USA and for a few days Manuel from Cordoba and Raquel from Toledo.The rest of the Migres team,Alejandro,Carlos and Andres will give you a warm welcome and will assist in any ID problems.
Last night went onto La Janda with Alejandro and others to ring barn swallows and ended up with kingfisher,reed and great reed warblers,goldfinch,greenfinch,melodious warbler,western olivaceous warbler,juvenile yellow wagtail,house and Spanish sparrows and of course a lot of barn swallows.A new site for white rumped swift has been found with two nests located at the Embalse de Barbate with all four adults ringed.
I am now out nearly every day or part thereof and will endevour to keep you informed of information that comes to hand.My regards to all ...Eddy.

Does anybody on this thread have any reliable sites or individuals that could give local information with regard to the weather, particularly the wind conditions, around the Gib/Tarifa area? I am in the process of planning a 2 week visit to the region, not just birding but primarily, from Sep 9th onwards. I have been before and am aware of the strong Levanter and am keen to visit elsewhere i.e Donana/Seville when windy and base myself @ Tarifa when conditions are more conducive in order to maximise the 'experience'.

Any information would be appreciated and thanks in advance.

Laurie:t:

Does anybody on this thread have any reliable sites or individuals that could give local information with regard to the weather, particularly the wind conditions, around the Gib/Tarifa area? I am in the process of planning a 2 week visit to the region, not just birding but primarily, from Sep 9th onwards. I have been before and am aware of the strong Levanter and am keen to visit elsewhere i.e Donana/Seville when windy and base myself @ Tarifa when conditions are more conducive in order to maximise the 'experience'.

Any information would be appreciated and thanks in advance.

I have just picked up on your thread and in addition to wind guru which is primarily designed for wind surfers I personally use the Norwegian weather site YR.NO.Just put into English tap in the places you are visiting and it gives an hour by hour forecast for three days and a ten day long term forecast together with wind speed and direction and any precipitation....Eddy

Not counted by me but by the Migres Team at Cazalla,Tarifa yesterday between 9 am and 5 pm 5000+ white storks and 3000 black kites, my thanks to Alejandro,Manuel and Raquel for this information....Eddy

Thanks for the wind info folks - just out of interest, Eddy, can you post a Google Earth/Map link to Cazalla? I do'nt seem to be able to get the right one for some reason!

The only Algarrobo that i can find is the one the other side of Malaga. Is this the one you refer to or is there one sheltered around the Tarifa area? If it is the one that i have mentioned then it would'nt be in the same context for migrants across the straits - the reason i am going and, again if it is, it is a long way away and btw i use a fold up bike:eek!: for my birding.

Could u clarify the location pls?

Rollingthunder,I am not computer competent to post a map but Algarrobo is on the west side of Algeciras,Cadiz just off the N340 about 1 1/2 km after the last roundabout leaving Algeciras.The observatory is about 3/4 km along a dirt track.Cazalla is a purpose built observation area with large buildings(yet to opened)on the north side of the N340 2 km east of Tarifa.
John Cantelo if you are reading this you might be able to help here.
Regards....Eddy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back