• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birdwatching in Straits of Gibraltar & La Janda (2 Viewers)

Thanks for the info Eddy. I am well into the World Service by 1am;) - i hope to bump into the Migres team and any other birders when i (hopefully) visit. My main concern, at present, is getting a return ticket at the right price:C Otherwise it will be Morocco in December.....

Laurie:t:

Tue 9th September arrive Malaga ca1230 then coach over to Algeciras then Tarifa. We intend to spend a week around Tarifa in 2 3/4 day bits with 3 nights each at El Roccio and 3 at Seville. If it's too Levanter then the other options are open on an ad-hoc basis.

The £ is stronger than when i visited a couple of years ago so it should make the accommodation cheaper - that's the main expense.

Tue 9th September arrive Malaga ca1230 then coach over to Algeciras then Tarifa. We intend to spend a week around Tarifa in 2 3/4 day bits with 3 nights each at El Roccio and 3 at Seville. If it's too Levanter then the other options are open on an ad-hoc basis.

The £ is stronger than when i visited a couple of years ago so it should make the accommodation cheaper - that's the main expense.

We'll probably being pottering around the area during your stay - although much of my birding these days tends to be from the terrace - so hope to see you out there!

Looks like there'll be little point in visiting Playa de los Lances between 29/08 - 07/09 this autumn :-( See also the disturbing cutting from 'The Olive Press'. It's about time some way was found to stop the kite surfers running amok following constant trespassing on the nature reserve, the removal of posts hammered in the sand, total disregard of other beach users (animal & human), etc. Unfortunately, in the absence of any political will it's difficult to see what can or will be done.

Attachments

• KiteSurf3.png
    KiteSurf3.png
    260.8 KB · Views: 49
  • KitesurfTarifa.jpg
    KitesurfTarifa.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 64
Los Lances & La Janda

Both sites are subject to so much disturbances and illegal practices that goes on with impunity and complete disregard to the law, sadly, the law enforcement agencies are doing sweet F.A. too!

Looks like there'll be little point in visiting Playa de los Lances between 29/08 - 07/09 this autumn :-( See also the disturbing cutting from 'The Olive Press'. It's about time some way was found to stop the kite surfers running amok following constant trespassing on the nature reserve, the removal of posts hammered in the sand, total disregard of other beach users (animal & human), etc. Unfortunately, in the absence of any political will it's difficult to see what can or will be done.
To reinforce your point John, a few photos from Los Lances, all in the reserve area, taken in 2011, 2012 and 2013.

I think they've been seen here before, but a little reminder can't do any harm.

The main problem is that Tarifa sets itself up as the wind-and-kite-surfing capital. The shops in the town have a big investment in it, as do the camp-sites and hotels, so most of the town's tourist business and the big money comes from the kites.

From their point of view the kites, not the birds are the main money-makers, so anyone who steps on the wrong toes in the interests of nature conservation isn't going to win many friends in the halls of power, whatever the law says. They'll push a few posts in to keep the bird lobby happy, but they won't be too heavy on the enforcement if some of those posts should go missing at the hands of 'a person or persons unknown'.

Attachments

• 20-Kite-Surfers,-Los-Lances-Reserve-web.jpg
    20-Kite-Surfers,-Los-Lances-Reserve-web.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 55
  • 070-Kitesurfer,-Tarifa-web.jpg
    070-Kitesurfer,-Tarifa-web.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 55
  • 072-Kitesurfer,-Tarifa-web.jpg
    072-Kitesurfer,-Tarifa-web.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 40
  • 074-Kitesurfer,-Tarifa-web.jpg
    074-Kitesurfer,-Tarifa-web.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 45
  • 019-Wind-surfers'-Van,-Los-Lances-web.jpg
    019-Wind-surfers'-Van,-Los-Lances-web.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
I find that Los Lances beach is on Trip Advisor - so have commented briefly asking kite surfers to respect the nature reserve there. I doubt that it'll do much good, but perhaps if enough of us do so it might stop some and shame others.

Well i'm spending money to see Kites as well;) Looks like packing the Black Widow 'gatty' agen! I'm getting pretty good at hitting moving targets:C

Look forward to bumping into you John, had i been going to the Rutland thingy it might have been there instead but i think i am double-booked at a Beer Festival somewhere, a no-brainer really - Gravity and B :) always wins.....

As for Los Lances - i want to avoid Tarifa in the strong winds the last time i was there 3 days were superb for movement and 3 were cr@p you could hardly stand up! Hence the, hopefully, non-breezy alternatives of El Roccio/La Janda and the Tapas, Churches and parkland migrants of Seville.

Also, i tend to do LL early well before the skunkheads and dreadlock brigade:eek!:

Still no return booked yet but the bride was out on a 'girlie' last night and is not up as i type but it could be booked over the weekend - it would be nice if it is below 50 quid as the baccy i can bring back will cover my flights:king:

I have been to the Birdfair for the last weekend and met many friends from Birdforum for the first time. I am able to give a quick update on recent activity in the Straits now that I am back on line.White storks and black kites continue to go south someimes in their 1000´s.Monday 18th saw the first sign of southerly migration of Honey buzzards at Cazalla,together with Egyptian vultures,black stork,Rupelles vulture and a goshawk also being seen.
After domestic chores this morning I may get out for a few hours this pm Regards to all ...Eddy.

The thought of all those birds vs domestic chores Eddy!

Still, we live in different worlds - Southern Spanish coastline with Tangier in the background and the landlocked West Midlands:C

Looking forward to shaking off the soot.....

Phew!................Waited and waited, normally book 6-8 weeks before hols - Michael O'Leary blinked first;) Return flight down from £109 on Tuesday night to £61 last night! - sorted for about 90 quid return each:eek!:

Oh I forgot to say yesterday pm 2 bonelli´s eagles and 3 juvenile monty´s in the valle de ojen between los barrios and facinas and an eleonoras falcon at traffico this morning....Eddy

Today on La Janda reports of great numbers of turtle doves and a lone roller at Pozuelo near Tarifa.Going inland tomorrow to Grazalema so will repor back with finds etc.....Eddy

Today on La Janda reports of great numbers of turtle doves and a lone roller at Pozuelo near Tarifa.Going inland tomorrow to Grazalema so will repor back with finds etc.....Eddy

Hi Eddy

I've never managed to spot a roller in either Cadiz or Malaga. The ones I've seen have always been in the Eastern half of Spain. Nice one.

How stands the track from Facinas to Benalup these days?

Is it worse, better or the same as this time last year?

I don't expect motorway standards and as a trained off-road driver (work not hobby) I handled last year and most other years without dragging the bottom off the Clio, but even I've turned back on a couple of rare occasions.

I'm just asking, as forewarned is forearmed and if the road is good, fine. If it's bad, that's OK. If it's impassable I might have to give it some thought.

Back there next weekend, so I'll be expecting to bump into you again.

All the best.

Last edited:
Dirt road between Facinas and Benalup.Cadiz

Hi Alan,the first few km´s from the Facinas end are the worst with some deep holes but if you go steady they should be passable in a car.Once you are over the small river things get better then near to Cortijo Las Habas roadway things improve very well with even 4th gear reached until you reach the Celemin river where the old tarmac road is very bad again with holes like open cast mines.There is alternative dirt roads at this stage which should be taken with care as the banks near the ditches can give way as I found to my surprise in June.I look forward to meeting up with you and your wife so have a nice one regards ...Eddy.

Attachments

• 432.jpg
    432.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 56

Users who are viewing this thread

Back