• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birdwatching in Straits of Gibraltar & La Janda (7 Viewers)

PS - the Cabranosa bird still hurts my brain... very confused and many questions still need answers finding. People talk about aberrant STE's - I still can't find any pictures of any dark ones!

Me too - and I agree with what you say, many q's need an answer - though I have a horrible feeling the ID won't be resolved.

I found Ed Hunter on here - by searching:

http://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=1317216&postcount=38

So you can now send him a PM or email ;)

All the best and hope to see you again at Cabranosa!

Bul buls

Hello,

Im new to bird forum. Fascinating thread about the birds of this area. I am planning to visit for a couple of days and was interested to read the reports on Bul bul observations. Would anyone be able to shed any light as to where in Tarifa I can see these birds and the best time to see them? Any help would be much appreciated.Thank you.

This afternoon I was La Janda with friends when amongst the many marsh harriers was a female marsh harrier with a bright green wing tag on each wing.Any ideas where this was tagged?Thank you ....Eddy.

I was in the SanRoque area of Cadiz yesterday and amongst a group of crag martins I saw a 1CY red rumped swallow.Very unusual at this time of the year but not unknown.Also blue throats at Palmones estuary 2x1CY and one adult seen recently.Regards ...Eddy

I was in the SanRoque area of Cadiz yesterday and amongst a group of crag martins I saw a 1CY red rumped swallow.Very unusual at this time of the year but not unknown.Also blue throats at Palmones estuary 2x1CY and one adult seen recently.Regards ...Eddy

Hi Eddy, good to see you're still out and about. I seem to recall seeing RRS at the mouth of the river Guadiaro in winter down at Sotogrande over the reed-bed area, where there is a locked hide and usually great views of Purple Swamphen. I'll be out for a few days on 23rd January, intending to grill the La Janda area for goodies, will be in touch nearer the time.

Oh and Merry Christmas!

Not sure whether great white heron counts as unusual or not, but FWIW one was in a field with white storks close to the canalside entrance to La Janda today.

Hi Eddy, I have noticed the lack of mention of Richard's Pipit in the Strait area - I found them twice in December/January just north of the N340 at Palmones on the bits of grassland there, when I lived in the area (early 90's). I would have thought that they maybe occur at La Janda occasionally too.

Re: Richard's Pipit - according to the Birds of the Strait of Gibraltar there are 10 records of 14 birds in the area. Although doubtless more have been seen since it was published, the pattern should still be relevant - Jan 3, April 1, October 4 & November 6. Tawny Pipit apparently can be around from March to October (though mainly from late April/May to September) so any big pipit between November and February is certainly going to be Richard's with a fair chance in early spring and late autumn ....... unless it's a Blyth's that is! ;);)

Last edited:
Hello Simon,yes you are probably right,they are here, if only I could distinguish them from the others in the field....Eddy.

Eddy - I have attached a link where I found as many as 4 Richard's Pipits on one visit in 1992..(?)

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?msid=212108937248507062879.0004ed853d3fca7722608&msa=0&ll=36.177696,-5.451322&spn=0.007361,0.011609&iwloc=0004ed854a0da7656e36f

Area indicated shows open areas where I saw 4 Richard's Pipits - visiting in the next winter I found just one bird. I went to spy on the cellulose paper factory (marked) to see if rumours it was polluting the Guadacortes were true - it smelt bad! I hope its not working now - or its at least stopped polluting...? Since I have been there the autovia has been built and I found access from the original N340 - no idea what its like now?

Anyway - I think its well worth a look - its a nice little area and when there has been enough rain some nice pools form by the river - nice bit of vegetation there too and I found a fair few rarish plants too. I find that often the inner/upper reaches of estuaries - especially where fresh meets salt water are particularly badly impacted by man's activities. I have also noticed that here in Portugal our wintering Richard's Pipits are often on grassy areas in upper estuaries/coastal wetlands, eg; Tejo, Sado, Paul de Lagos, Alvor, Lagoa dos Salgados...

If you walk the habitat be alert to any birds flying up and calling - Richard's tend to be alone and not with Meadow Pipits - sometimes with Skylark. They nearly always call loudly (very distinctive exploding cheep!) compared with Mipit's "squeak", very different. When they land they often flutter/hover for a few moments with a long floppy tail before landing - bit like Skylark can do. I usually find them like this and usually manage a nice scope view on the ground. Once you have done them once - they are easy, well except for eliminating Blyth's (sometimes;)) - as John says!

Are Penduline Tits still wintering in the reedbeds near the sea?

Thinking about my many visits to the Palmones area - I remembered one of its claims to fame was a modern (post 1970 I think) sighting of Lammergeier (juv/imm) - the only one for the Strait area - I was told this by local Spanish birders.

Last edited:
Area indicated shows open areas where I saw 4 Richard's Pipits - visiting in the next winter I found just one bird. I went to spy on the cellulose paper factory (marked) to see if rumours it was polluting the Guadacortes were true - it smelt bad! I hope its not working now - or its at least stopped polluting...? Since I have been there the autovia has been built and I found access from the original N340 - no idea what its like now?

Anyway - I think its well worth a look - its a nice little area and when there has been enough rain some nice pools form by the river - nice bit of vegetation there too and I found a fair few rarish plants too. I find that often the inner/upper reaches of estuaries - especially where fresh meets salt water are particularly badly impacted by man's activities. I have also noticed that here in Portugal our wintering Richard's Pipits are often on grassy areas in upper estuaries/coastal wetlands, eg; Tejo, Sado, Paul de Lagos, Alvor, Lagoa dos Salgados...

If you walk the habitat be alert to any birds flying up and calling - Richard's tend to be alone and not with Meadow Pipits - sometimes with Skylark. They nearly always call loudly (very distinctive exploding cheep!) compared with Mipit's "squeak", very different. When they land they often flutter/hover for a few moments with a long floppy tail before landing - bit like Skylark can do. I usually find them like this and usually manage a nice scope view on the ground. Once you have done them once - they are easy, well except for eliminating Blyth's (sometimes;)) - as John says!

Are Penduline Tits still wintering in the reedbeds near the sea?

Interesting post, Simon!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back