• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birdwatching in Straits of Gibraltar & La Janda (3 Viewers)

Simon, how frequent/regular are Richard's Pipit in Portugal?

They were taken off the list of considered rarities in Portugal recently - 2008 (I think).

I see them fairly regularly - this autumn there were some 7-8 inds. around the clifftop grasslands of the Sagres peninsula - in the last 2 weeks there are some 3 birds - and I would imagine there are one or two more around as large areas of suitable habitat are not really covered. Also this late autumn there are one or two birds being reported from 2 locations near Lisbon and near Peniche. The largest number of birds seen together was 11 inds a few years ago near Cabo Sardão - west coast some 60kms north of Cabo de São Vicente. I really don't think many folk are looking for them around Algarve wetlands but single figures are reported every winter. I am convinced that they are going undetected and are a regular autumn passage migrant and winter visitor (a fair few Jan-Mar records).

As for numbers of wintering birds in Portugal - its impossible to say but I have a gut feeling that at least 10 birds do so and maybe 50 or more birds is closer to reality.

In Spain I have only found them at the site in Palmones - an area that became a regular winter haunt of mine for about 2 years - also I found one bird in Doñana - close to the Valverde centre in January c.2006.

I assume they are not reported in Rare Birds in Spain because they have been taken off the rarity list in Spain too - I don't hear of many Spanish records.

I think the phenomenon of wintering Richard's Pipits in SW Europe is fascinating - it would be enlightening to probe further (literature and in the field) and produce a winter distribution map!

Last edited:
Very interesting posts Simon. I've no clear idea how frequent they are in Spain esp in winter in the SW. I can't see why they shouldn't be as frequent as they are in Portugal. Is it simply a matter of learning to look in the right place? And is this a new phenomena or, like changes in the Blackcap's winter range a real change?

Simon I went down to the area marked on your map and as I thought this site is occupied by a concrete products facility and I was unable to gain access to the area in question.However I will search the area and see if I can locate them...Eddy

Simon I went down to the area marked on your map and as I thought this site is occupied by a concrete products facility and I was unable to gain access to the area in question.However I will search the area and see if I can locate them...Eddy

That doesn't sound good - though on google maps the immediate area looks much as it was in the early 1990s. I remember entering the area on foot at least once via - under the old N340 bridge on foot - by the paper factory (or what was one). . Maybe in the area south of the road that looks similar is worth a look - though I seem to remember that access was tricky without crossing impossible saltmarsh channels. Don't know if this helps - it would be great if you found them - near saltmarsh on drier ground would be a good bet, rather than any grassy dry field.

Simon,

You appear to have the paper factory (now closed) in the wrong place - it is/was the similar looking bit a little further towards Algeciras (ie in among all the buildings). That would appear to mean that the area you are referring to has been covered with shiny new roundabouts and the odd building.

The habitat on the opposite side of the motorway might still be suitable.

I wonder if it might be worth exploring the upper regions of the Barbate estuary using the sendero that runs from near the water treatment plant.

I have done a quick recce to the area on the map,west side of the rio Guadecorte,and this site is now a cement products factory and no access can be gained.However on the southern side of the N340 there is suitable habitat that will require further examination.
I have spoken with other birders in the area and they are of the general opinion that this area could be productive and that between now and the spring could be the best time.The last time a Richard's pipit was seen in this area was 2/3 years ago but I think it is worth some prolonged observation and this will be my winter project.Of course I will report back my findings....Eddy

La Janda today.

Very dry & windy. 2 imm Spanish Imperial Eagles & 4 Bonelli's Eagles. Also Black-winged kite, Glossy Ibis, Crane, Bluethroat & Penduline Tit, Iberian Green Woodpecker amongst the many other usual birds.

Was in Palmones today,not birding,when I saw a flock of 13 shellduck flyover 3or4 times before heading off north.A first for me in Spain,right place right time again...Eddy

Forgot to mention report of two flocks of white stork, approx.200,seen coming off the sea at Zahara de los Atunes and heading north.This was in a force 7/8 easterly,they must have set off from Tunisia!!.The pre nuptial migration has started.Regards Eddy

Very dry & windy. 2 imm Spanish Imperial Eagles & 4 Bonelli's Eagles. Also Black-winged kite, Glossy Ibis, Crane, Bluethroat & Penduline Tit, Iberian Green Woodpecker amongst the many other usual birds.

Now then, if you were to keep that little lot there until 24th Jan we would be very happy indeed! What are the chances. Never seen Penduline Tit there, any directions?

Now then, if you were to keep that little lot there until 24th Jan we would be very happy indeed! What are the chances. Never seen Penduline Tit there, any directions?

Anywhere reedy with water margins (canals) is a good place for them, get aquainted with their characteristic drawn-out call, its the best way to locate their presence.

I've not been there very often in the winter Jon, but the last time I did (it must be 6 or 7 years ago) I was driving along what was still the 'bumpy track' then, northwards towards the cattle farm and I had a group of them come wheezing along the willows on the other side of the ditch, just south of the sluice.

Last edited:
I've personally not seen them on La Janda in the many years I've be visiting.I have seen them in Guadalhaorce however and I am always on the lookout for something different....Eddy.

My first visit out to Barbate and La Janda in a couple of weeks.On the marismas at Barbate,good numbers of flamingo,golden plover ,5 or 6 stone curlew,two ospreys fishing,a marsh harrier female and a group of avocets.On La Janda birds were few and far between,probably due to the lack of rain,everywhere is so dry.3 of 4 Marsh harriers.1 black winged kite,a few snipe and green sandpipers but not much else of note.There was a leucistic bird possibly a serin,and at about 6.15pm one short eared owl hunting near the eastern end of the main canal.Also at this time a huge number 1500+ common cranes came into roost in the fields to the west of Las Habas.Have a very happy Christmas and a good birding 2014.Kind regards ...Eddy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back