• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birmingham City Centre (2 Viewers)

Bloody Hell! Slightly frustrating to know there is a Grey Phalarope at your work place(at the uni at least)
Hopefully it's there tomorrow!

Grey Phalarope still present on Edgbaston Pool but access only through Winterbourne House. Pirouetting at far end away from dam so views distant.
Big steam event on today so will be crowded and doesnt open till 11.00 at weekends I think. £5.00 house and garden but cheaper than a day ticket at Edbaston golf club which is the only other access. Pity but no other access.

What makes this record all the more remarkable is that there are no inland Grey Phals reported so far today and just one yesterday (in Dorset)

Seeing the Phalarope this morning it looked very settled it could well have been there for a number of days. Edgbaston Pool was quite a revelation. 70+ Wigeon 20 Shoveler Little Grebe and Gt Crested Grebe. Bordered by manicured fairways of Edgbaston Golf course and relativley undisturbed. I spent a fleeting visit about 08.30 this morning after a set of nights but will definitley try to check this site again looks superb for Dragonflies and fantastic woods with lots of birds like Nuthatches Treecreepers Goldcrest Tit flocks as I marched through the grounds.

Seeing the Phalarope this morning it looked very settled it could well have been there for a number of days. Edgbaston Pool was quite a revelation. 70+ Wigeon 20 Shoveler Little Grebe and Gt Crested Grebe. Bordered by manicured fairways of Edgbaston Golf course and relativley undisturbed. I spent a fleeting visit about 08.30 this morning after a set of nights but will definitley try to check this site again looks superb for Dragonflies and fantastic woods with lots of birds like Nuthatches Treecreepers Goldcrest Tit flocks as I marched through the grounds.

But are you a member, otherwise it will be a fiver every visit. Winterbourne House and Gardens are hoping the bird stays , for obvious reasons.

Des.

p.s. I'm pretty sure the first record of Cetti's Warbler in the WMBC area was at Edgbaston Pool.

But are you a member, otherwise it will be a fiver every visit. Winterbourne House and Gardens are hoping the bird stays , for obvious reasons.

Des.

p.s. I'm pretty sure the first record of Cetti's Warbler in the WMBC area was at Edgbaston Pool.

Your correct the first West Midland Record came from Edgbaston Park present 2nd May-12th July 1975 trapped on the 17th May.
Good Birding YAMYAM

I managed a record shot, but no more. We often visit the gardens as members, a lovely quiet spot and great plants and flowers !

Attachments

• Grey Phalarope 14 oct 5 d.jpg
    Grey Phalarope 14 oct 5 d.jpg
    176.2 KB · Views: 138
No news either way for a couple of days on the Phalarope. Got a day off Thursday so might pop over if I'm feeling flush and have a gander. There's always some plants if it's flown...

Kingfisher at the R. Rea & D.B.Canal crossing this morning in the willows on the river

Nice one SJ!! I'll have to check it out. There's a few about in Birmingham, PJs seen two on Edgbaston Res!! I've seen three in total recently on the Bourn Brook and Bourn (one definitely a juvenile)!! And I saw three on the Cole. Great!!

It's very infrequent that I see them on the Digbeth Branch mind. Only seen 2 in 18months-ish using it and both were this autumn/winter.

30-11-14, Birmingham, Digbeth Branch canal / River Rea - 07.30
There was a moorhen on the canal and I thought - bit noisy that moorhen, making all that commotion - only to then realise it was a kingfisher flying along the Canal and calling!!! Yes!! The first time I had a seen a kingfisher on a canal!! it flew past me and I could see the blue colour on it's back. Then it flew a little higher and took a right at the canal T junction to head down towards where the canal crosses the River Rea. I then had a look for it on the Rea and heard it calling a few times. Then I saw it catch a fish and fly back to a tree perch where it knocked the fish on a branch a number of times before it flew off. Great!! A grey wagtail was amongst the trees at the side of the canal. I also saw a few blackbirds and 2 dunnocks feeding on the tow path.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back