• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birmingham City Centre (2 Viewers)

06-12-14, Birmingham, Digbeth Branch canal / River Rea - 07.30
Whilst waiting for the KF - a family of LTTs were feeding in the trees on the Rea. BBs and Dunnocks again present feeding on the tow path. The KF did not turn up. So I walked a couple streets to where bridges cross the River Rea and took a look at the River. Great I heard the kingfisher calling under the bridge. Then I found a car park next to the River Rea and again looked along the river. I saw the kingfisher fly along the river and briefly perch on a wall mounted metal ladder. Great!! It took flight when it sensed me and then stopped in a tree on the river. I went to grab my camera but it took off and flew down the River. Still great!!

Adult Yellow-legged Gull over Jennens Road this morning; seemed to drop onto the canal at the back of Aston Science Park.

On Wednesday the first Black Redstart for me in a city centre location for nearly seven years

Not been on Birdforum for a while, can't believe I missed this treat of a post! Must've been amazing to have found!

The best I can do over the last couple of weeks is a female Kingfisher seeming to take advantage of stranded fish in an emptied lock basin at Ashtead Locks on the Digbeth Branch, and a Sparrowhawk down the other end where it meets Bordesley.

...and had an unusual sighting today of a dead female Pheasant on Fazeley Street. I can only imagine either some person's dropped their game pie filling or the Peregrines have been commuting out of town and being lazy en route back with their spoils!?

On Wednesday the first Black Redstart for me in a city centre location for nearly seven years

Just been flicking through the thread, you mentioned seeing a Black Redstart for the first time in 5 years on the first page. You're clearly having too much luck with these that they're losing their excitement! Haha!

Not been on Birdforum for a while, can't believe I missed this treat of a post! Must've been amazing to have found!
The best I can do over the last couple of weeks is a female Kingfisher seeming to take advantage of stranded fish in an emptied lock basin at Ashtead Locks on the Digbeth Branch, and a Sparrowhawk down the other end where it meets Bordesley.

SJ - I think the kingfisher I saw on the Digbeth Branch / Rea in December was a female. Good to hear it's still around. I stopped looking for it as there's several around Birmingham now, keeping me busy and I couldn't get to see much of the Rea where it might be, in Digbeth.

A couple of years ago the bride found a dead Woodcock in Broad Street that, presumably, had hit a window whilst moving at night. She took a picture, i think i have it somewhere, if i find it i will post.....

Laurie:t:

I work in a school just outside the city centre. By soho house. One morning in October last year we had a pheasant in the school playground for over an hour....

Was not expecting that at 7am here

I work in a school just outside the city centre. By soho house. One morning in October last year we had a pheasant in the school playground for over an hour....

Was not expecting that at 7am here

haha how'd the kids take that? We had a cat run across the playground last week and ours went mental!

Corvid Roost, Wychall Reservoir Popes Lane.

Not City Centre and not far enough out to use Hopwood and Bittell Forum.
Ive seen numerous Corvids around Wychall Reservoir Popes Lane before in previous years but never properly investigated. Tonight I saw a large flock(500) of mainly Jackdaws along the Railway line at the back of the reservoir.Other small flocks of Crows were coming in at least 200+ I only had a few minutes but just walked along pathway from Popes lane end and numerous flocks were spiralling about, lots of noise, impressive sight. Has anyone seen this before,I will go back looks interesting if only to get a better shot than the one off my phone!

Attachments

• Bird Corvid roost wychall1.jpg
    Bird Corvid roost wychall1.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 45
Sizeable Pied Wagtail roost on the roof of Norfolk House on Small brook Queensway this evening. I counted around 60 individuals.

This morning on Eastside 'fields' had a group of gulls feeding on the grass including 6no LBBG, 1no BHG, 1no HG and 1no YLG. A first for me in the city.

This morning on Eastside 'fields' had a group of gulls feeding on the grass including 6no LBBG, 1no BHG, 1no HG and 1no YLG. A first for me in the city.

Where are you classifying as Eastside "fields" Ste? I have had an adult Yellow-legged Gull on a couple of occasions on the central reservation of Jennens Road.

Eastside

Chiffchaff singing on Digbeth Branch Canal y'day evening and first butterflies of year 3no Peacocks.
Adult Yellow-legged Gull in the Eastside park / old cemetry area this morning.

Digbeth Branch Canal

Thought I'd do a quick post on some of my records for the DBCanal.
I've been doing WeBS counts on the branch since Jan and recording separately the other birds, fauna and flora. Not the most obvious place to complete WeBS but urban ecology is something I've got into a bit, and I've been learning a lot of new spp IDing plants etc...

Some highlights have been:
Birds - Kingfisher, Sparrowhawk, Chiffchaff, Bullfinch...
Plants - Greater Periwinkle, Giant Hogweed, Forsythia...(lots of garden 'aliens')
Insects - Peacock, Buff-tailed Bumble, Early Bumble...
Fungi - Turkey Tail

It's all pretty common stuff but it's amazing what's there considering the location. Having only gotten into flora and insects recently I'm currently on 80 spp since January.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back