• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Black bird with white head? - Devon, UK (2 Viewers)

HarringtonR

United Kingdom
Hi,

Apologies for the terrible photo (iPhones are u happy zooming!) - but I hope someone can help identify this bird. In our garden in Devon this morning. It is the size of blackbird, and looks like one in every respect save the bright white stripe on the head. There is no white anywhere else. Any help would be appreciated!

Many thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_9435.jpeg
    IMG_9435.jpeg
    90.6 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_9426.jpeg
    IMG_9426.jpeg
    439.2 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_9428.jpeg
    IMG_9428.jpeg
    160.1 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_9429.jpeg
    IMG_9429.jpeg
    100.4 KB · Views: 125
Yes, it took a second or two to work out what was what in the first photo, but then unambiguously a male Blackbird with a white "cap" on the front/top of its head. The orangey-yellow bill is what makes it definite!

Abnormal white feathers seem pretty common in Blackbirds - and most common on the head in my experience (unlike in crows and jackdaws which typically have them in the wings).

It definitely seems that the white feathering is more often seen around the head area. I had 4 different birds visiting the garden this summer all.males with varying degrees of white head feathering. The strange thing was that they were very infrequent visiters. I would have thought that they would be making the most of the easy food supply.

Are males more susceptible to leucism? There seem.to be far more pictures of leucistic males on the Internet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back