• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Black Dragonfly id : Description only (sorry) (1 Viewer)

Tim100

Hello,

I often have Dragonflies in the garden during the summer and they are quite big with clear wings.

However in the hot summer of 2004 I saw very briefly a black dragonfly. It was smaller than the Dragonflies I commonly see but moved just as quickly. I can't confirm whether the wings were clear or not as it was hovering around a foot of the ground and then flew away.

Can anyone show me any pics of all black dragonflies or similar species that can be found in Kent, SE England. I did not imagine it but have never seen anything like it since. It was very striking.

Thanks,

Tim

A good place to start would be the British Dragonfly Society website. You'll find a photo guide under the UK species link on the left-hand side of the page.

I'd start looking under: Family Libellulidae - Chasers, Skimmers and Darters.

http://www.dragonflysoc.org.uk

Regards

Mark

Yesterday we had a public event at Wheatfen, and several members of the public asked me what the black dragonflies were. Surprisingly, what they were seeing were Banded Demoiselles - the overcast light conditions were making them appear black. So you might need to use some imagination when looking at the photos to allow for ambient light conditions.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back