• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Black Grouse (1 Viewer)

A good site because you get decent views from the roadside but are far enough from the birds to not risk disturbing them. It is a really nice spot early in the morning - lots of moorland sounds like displaying Golden Plovers. Not at the moment of course, but a couple of months time.

Steve

Hi

Just to update...
Nope, I didn't find any black grouse around that location on Saturday.

However, on the way back, took some photos of a barn owl :) which cheered me up.

Search for black grouse continues...

As Steve mentioned, not just yet but in a few weeks time as the day's daylight draws out. I think the optimum time is the beginning of April. Yes, the conditions will be bleak, but by then the males should be pumped up and in tip top condition for display, courtship and mating. Good luck.

Last edited:
The earliest I have been up there is February and the birds were showing well but that year it was -7 degrees with a really hard frost so the birds stood out like sore thumbs. I have been up there as late as April and the birds can sometimes be difficult to see if the vegetation has sprung up too much

I rarely arrive there before 9.30 these days (it is about 3 hours from here when the A1 is busy) and by then the birds are starting to move off the walled fields and go back onto the moor. I have never seen more than half-hearted lekking as I think I get there too late. Plenty of birds though.

And yes, the road in from the north can be bad.

Steve

The best trip I have had was one where we got there before 0800 in March so not long after sun up - we had several birds in the fields then and had a good number of grey hens present also

I rarely arrive there before 9.30 these days (it is about 3 hours from here when the A1 is busy) and by then the birds are starting to move off the walled fields and go back onto the moor. I have never seen more than half-hearted lekking as I think I get there too late. Plenty of birds though.

And yes, the road in from the north can be bad.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back