• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Blackpool Area For Birding (1 Viewer)

Ian Bell

Supporter
Scotland
Off to Blackpool next weekend.As well as keeping the family busy and happy,I would like a few hours to myself birding in an area unknown to myself.Any suggestions ?

Not really my neck of the woods, but as no-one else has replied - there was a White-rumped Sandpiper recently at Skippool just north of Poulton, so this area may well be worth investigating for migrating waders at this time of year, or possibly any accessible spots on the north shore of the Ribble - maybe Freckleton? - or if you can be pretty mobile Leighton Moss isn't too far away, nor is Martin Mere.

James

Blackpool Area

MARTON MERE is in Blackpool and is a good area of scrubby land, heath, woods & a big lake, as opposed to MARTIN MERE which is a WWT reserve nearer to Southport.

Sandra

Thank You

Thanks for your replies.I must admit,I thought I would have received more considering the population of Lancashire..! Not all us Scots come to Blackpool for "sticks of rock" and "kiss me quick" hats.Thanks again.

The Wyre Estuary is excellent. Skippool Creek just north of Poulton le Fylde has an excellent selection of the commoner waders as well as occasional goodies. The Great Knot was found there at this same time last year.

I'm not sure which day you're planning to visit but there's a reasonably high tide next Sunday the 21st around lunchtime, why not do some sea watching from the pier? It's not quite so high on the Saturday but with a good Westerly or North Westerly wind it should provide some good birds and would save travelling around.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back