• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Blackwater Arboretum hawfinch (2 Viewers)

markho

I will be in Salisbury in a few weeks time and was thinking of trying to see Hawfinch at Blackwater Arboretum . Does anyone know if they are still there and the best spot to see them. Is it a large place or quite small and obvious . I have a where to see birds in Dorset and Hampshire but its quite vague .Thanks .

Park in the car park, cross the road (west) and a short way up the gravel track and through a wooden gate and then find a place to stand as per http://gridreferencefinder.com/bing.php?gr=SU2651604798|Stand_s_about_s_here|0&v=h

I'm sure there will be Hawfinches but arrive early (I go c.2pm) as the birds often arrive early and disappear from view. Assuming it's a pleasant afternoon there will be quite a few birders there.

Keep an eye out for them on the tops of pines (although chaffinches will do the same). Sometimes they are scarce. The last time I went to this site in winter I saw none. The day after with other birders we saw just 1. 2 days after 100 were reported. The numbers fluctuate based on not just observer competence but it seems they will also visit other places nearby to roost.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back