• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bolivia - Dry chaco. ID orange bird (1 Viewer)

antee

Okey, time to give up again and ask the experts on this forum...

I need help to ID this little fellow from the dry Chaco in Southern Bolivia.

Thanx!

Attachments

• bird.jpg
    bird.jpg
    619.1 KB · Views: 72
For fans of somewhat recent IOC splitting, it would be Red Tanager, Piranga flava. There is also Tooth-billed Tanager, Piranga lutea in Bolivia, but not in the south. (Hepatic Tanager proper, Piranga hepatica, does not occur in South America).

For fans of somewhat recent IOC splitting, it would be Red Tanager, Piranga flava. There is also Tooth-billed Tanager, Piranga lutea in Bolivia, but not in the south. (Hepatic Tanager proper, Piranga hepatica, does not occur in South America).

Yeah. But not sure about "proper" names one should be using, nor whether the split of "hepatic" into 3 is universally accepted. Think I noticed a "hepatic tanager (lowland)" page on ebird, for example. ( I vaguely remember the paper that proposed this and I think I agreed with their conclusions personally IIRC, but that doesn't mean you should...)

Yeah. But not sure about "proper" names one should be using, nor whether the split of "hepatic" into 3 is universally accepted. Think I noticed a "hepatic tanager (lowland)" page on ebird, for example. ( I vaguely remember the paper that proposed this and I think I agreed with their conclusions personally IIRC, but that doesn't mean you should...)

I don't know if it sprang from the same species but there's definitely a 'Highland Hepatic' more commonly called Tooth-billed I think Piranga lutea.

That's why I sat "for the fans of IOC". The only practical way to keep a list of birds seen is to pick a major taxonomic system and follow it, which used to be IOC, HBW/Birdlife and eBird/Clements - not sure what happens with the later two after HBW becomes basically eBird, but I am personally following IOC anyway :)

I presume this will eventually settle to some mean, as the taxonomies keep somewhat converging, but in the meanwhile, for species such as Hepatic Tanager(s), it's imo worth being specific about which taxonomy one uses.

Agree it looks an Hepatic. Summer would almost be a first for the bolivian chaco I believe, too south.

I'm no bird expert . . . far from it. But I am stuck in Bolivia for the quarantine lockdown. We've been seeing birds (and other wildlife) in places you don't normally see them. Just from my backyard toucans, huge parrots, a kestrel that somehow ended up in my pool, and dozens of others I can't name. So the lack of human activity during the quarantine has caused this.

If it helps: the Chaco is almost a desert . . . hot dry summers. But we are now in winter on this side of the globe and have had some chilly (by Crucena standards) south winds.

I'm no bird expert . . . far from it. But I am stuck in Bolivia for the quarantine lockdown. We've been seeing birds (and other wildlife) in places you don't normally see them. Just from my backyard toucans, huge parrots, a kestrel that somehow ended up in my pool, and dozens of others I can't name. So the lack of human activity during the quarantine has caused this.

If it helps: the Chaco is almost a desert . . . hot dry summers. But we are now in winter on this side of the globe and have had some chilly (by Crucena standards) south winds.

I'm especially curious about the parrots, if you get any pictures

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back