• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Books on gulls (1 Viewer)

JTweedie

As I'll be doing seabird surveys I'd like to improve my identification of the different gull plumages.

I'm more interested in gulls we generally see in Scottish waters, and I was wondering what you thought of Gulls of Europe, North Africa, and the Middle East by Peter Adriaens, Mars Muusse, Philippe J Dubois, Frédéric Jiguet or do you have any other recommendations? It's really an ID guide I'm looking for.

I had a brief look through the Lynx book Seabirds by Peter Harrison, Martin Perrow, Hans Larsson and that looks good too especially as it covers more than just gulls, but as it looks at all the seabirds of the world it might be beyond the scope I'm looking at. It's also quite expensive too.

Many thanks. It was the first book that jumped out at me when I was searching so it looks like I was on the right track. I'll place an order for this.

I think you'd be better off with a good field guide. There's an awful lot of detail in these gull books, and the vast majority of it will be no use to you on your seabird surveys as it will cover species you're not likely to see, or details you won't be able to detect while surveying for the birds. I wonder if it might all prove to be a distraction? There's more than enough in the Collins guide or in a book like 'Europe's Birds' (which has a good gull section) to get you through. Another good one is Flight Identification of European Seabirds - very useful for seabird surveys!

The field guides will give you a) the basics but b) the most useful features. Learn these (and crucially, learn how to see these) and don't forget that 'gull sp' is OK!

Yes I was trying not to have a book that featured lots of species that I'm not likely to see. We can obviously record just gull sp or whatever, but I'd like to get better at ID more generally just for my own benefit. I've got the Collins field guide but I thought a more specific book would help. I might look up the Flight Identification book you suggest as an alternative.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back