• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bridge Camera Photography Showcase (1 Viewer)

Thank you. The Fujifilm Finepix 9400 is over ten years old and I purchased it used for $200. One major limitation is the fastest shutter speed is 1/1700 second. I just purchased a newer used Nikon P900 for $400. It has 83x optical so I am hoping for crisper photos at 50x optical zoon.
I like photos of waterfowl, and they are wild and flush typically if I am within 100 meters hiking hence the 50x optical zoom.
Both the Finepix 9400 and the Nikon P900 are 16MP sensors, and both shoot only jpg, not raw format files.
Eventually I will upgrade to a "real camera" as my friends who are professional wildlife photographers say.

Montana Wild Turkey mug shot from yesterday's hike:
View attachment 1573182
I appreciate your sharing your experience using bridge cameras. Since I'm fairly new to birding, a good bridge camera is going to help me identify birds if I have any doubts. I've read positive comments and reviews on the Canon Powershot and Nikon Coolpix cameras, and they seem to be a little better than the Fujifilm Finepix. If I can find a used bridge camera in very good condition, I'm going to to buy one. Maybe down the road I consider buying a higherend camera, but in the meantime an inexpensive camera will suffice. Thank you and have a good evening!

I appreciate your sharing your experience using bridge cameras. Since I'm fairly new to birding, a good bridge camera is going to help me identify birds if I have any doubts. I've read positive comments and reviews on the Canon Powershot and Nikon Coolpix cameras, and they seem to be a little better than the Fujifilm Finepix. If I can find a used bridge camera in very good condition, I'm going to to buy one. Maybe down the road I consider buying a higherend camera, but in the meantime an inexpensive camera will suffice. Thank you and have a good evening!
The used camera market seems like Fujifilm Finepix 9400 about $200, Nikon Coolpix 900 about $450, Nikon Coolpix 1000 about $1100 USA.
I liked the Fujifilm and now the Nikon Coolpix 900 because they are fairly lightweight and
for less than $500 I'm not afraid taking it mountain biking, canoeing, hiking, etc.
Most of my photos are opportunistic taken while my primary purpose is something else like hiking every other morning.

The used camera market seems like Fujifilm Finepix 9400 about $200, Nikon Coolpix 900 about $450, Nikon Coolpix 1000 about $1100 USA.
I liked the Fujifilm and now the Nikon Coolpix 900 because they are fairly lightweight and
for less than $500 I'm not afraid taking it mountain biking, canoeing, hiking, etc.
Most of my photos are opportunistic taken while my primary purpose is something else like hiking every other morning.
I’ve owned three Fujifilm cameras and have had pretty good luck with them, but they made so many bridge cameras is hard to choose a used one. The S9950w is the highest used model I’ve seen for sale and might offer the most features. Do you use a tripod for the highest zoom shots? Cheers!

I’ve owned three Fujifilm cameras and have had pretty good luck with them, but they made so many bridge cameras is hard to choose a used one. The S9950w is the highest used model I’ve seen for sale and might offer the most features. Do you use a tripod for the highest zoom shots? Cheers!
Yes I usually use a tripod and 2-second timer to try to minimize vibration on high zoom shots.

Yes I usually use a tripod and 2-second timer to try to minimize vibration on high zoom shots.
I’m going to have to look for a sturdy tripod because my Amazon brand isn’t very stable. From what I’ve read, it appears that the Fujifilm S1 is their best bridge camera. Did you consider this model? Cheers!

I’m going to have to look for a sturdy tripod because my Amazon brand isn’t very stable. From what I’ve read, it appears that the Fujifilm S1 is their best bridge camera. Did you consider this model? Cheers!
The Fujifilm S1 would be fine with 50x optical zoom. The fastest shutter speed is 1/2000 second. Price is good at < $250 USA.

Some passerines from this morning's hike:
Tree Swallow at about 40 meters
VioletGreenSwallow2.JPG
Western Meadowlark at about 100 meters:
MeadowLark.JPG
I love the Merlin app especially for identifying songs and calls.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back