• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

British version of the Theron Saker (3 Viewers)

ive tried to persuade alan at skysthelimit to stock the scope, but he doesnt seem interested ( Nice guy, but is bit blond at times. maybe he needs more peeps to tell him how good this scope is....

Stephen,

My mistake. It was actually the Celestron C70 minimak. Here is a link to it. Notice the mention of the 1.25 inch astro adapter.

http://www.optcorp.com/product.aspx?pid=10784

Hobbes,

I can only speak to the US version of the scope under the Theron Optics name (Saker). You might have more luck with finding info on it as it has now been around longer than the Helios unit.

goodnews! I currently own one of those. terrible scope, but if the adapter fits, then worth the money i paid)

Alan `infiniteskies` blondie is currently having a rethink on stocking the scope...if he can find a wholesaler to deal with. WHich will be good for uk peeps, as hes very reliable to deal with, gives excellent service.

Last edited:
goodnews! I currently own one of those. terrible scope, but if the adapter fits, then worth the money i paid)

Alan `infiniteskies` blondie is currently having a rethink on stocking the scope...if he can find a wholesaler to deal with. WHich will be good for uk peeps, as hes very reliable to deal with, gives excellent service.

Hi,

It's the Celstron you are saying is terrible right, not the Helios? Just double-checking.

Ps - I have only just now started the long process of convincing my wife that I need this, my first ever scope, having only just paid £230'ish less than a week ago for the other thing 'I needed' - my first ever proper bins (Nikon Monarch Mk3 8 x 42). Yep, this will be a tough nut to crack!

`t appears that reaching focus at infinity with many of the astro eyepieces is an issue. In other words there aren't many astro eyepieces that will reach focus at infinity with the Saker `

frank did you manage to get any to work yourself? still trying to decide if its worth getting the helios or not.....i wont if its just the zoom i can use, not a fan of zooms.

Stephen,

No, I didn't but I only tried three or four. One of the guys from Theron was experimenting with several others though. He was able to get one set to work perfectly....focus at infinity and the threads actually matched up with the Saker body. It was one of the "Flat Field" models that usually retail between $60-$80 US. I believe it is offered from several companies along the lines of Agena Astro, Orion, etc...

I know it is apparently the UK incarnation of the Theron Saker but wanted to know if anyone has actually tried it.

Also how would I go about digi-scoping with a 5DMk2 attached to this scope? Never owned or used a scope.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back