• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Brown backed martin from Tanzania (Serengeti) (1 Viewer)

Garrulous Jay

England
I can't find this bird in my Stevenson and Fanshaw guide. It's a brown backed martin so it should be a Rock, Plain or Banded. Plain and Rock appear to have dark breasts. Banded is white but with a prominent brown chest band. This one is brown above, white below with no chest band and with a suggestion of white supercilia only found on banded. Any help appreciated.

Attachments

• MartinforBF.jpg
    MartinforBF.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 69
I can't find this bird in my Stevenson and Fanshaw guide. It's a brown backed martin so it should be a Rock, Plain or Banded. Plain and Rock appear to have dark breasts. Banded is white but with a prominent brown chest band. This one is brown above, white below with no chest band and with a suggestion of white supercilia only found on banded. Any help appreciated.
I wondered about grey-rumped swallow but I think we can see the rump's not grey. I got the impression that the upper may have blue (i.e. not just brown) in them as per a young bird. There's also the suggestion of white "windows" in the tail. If so, that might imply rock martin despite the white underparts. So unsure

White breast and darker belly is ok for Rock, buff line above lores is present in juveniles (and will bleach or become white as photo artefact)

White breast and darker belly is ok for Rock, buff line above lores is present in juveniles (and will bleach or become white as photo artefact)
Why did you post this image Tom? Looks nothing like the OP, does it?

In my guide, none of the other species show anything like, this feature, not even slightly?
This is one where there are probably multiple species. The northern group (pale crag Martin) can look very white beneath like the bird here. I didn't see ebird images with white supralorals like these but some have buffy ones. If you went through the pics more systematically you probably would find one. So Rock Martin for me

What age is the OP because it doesn't look like either a juvenile or an adult Rock Martin to me?

Her's a Rock Martin from one of my trips to Africa, this was in Namibia.

Attachments

• DSC_7786mod.jpg
    DSC_7786mod.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 15
Mentally taking into account the fact the whole image is too red: the wall should be white(ish).
Perhaps very slightly but that's certainly not clear: the sacking behind the bird looks whiter than the wall, so the wall is presumably slightly buffy in reality (and there's no reason to think it's white). Hence any reddish cast on the bird's pale areas must be slight or nil.

Perhaps very slightly but that's certainly not clear: the sacking behind the bird looks whiter than the wall, so the wall is presumably slightly buffy in reality (and there's no reason to think it's white). Hence any reddish cast on the bird's pale areas must be slight or nil.
Rock Martin, shouldn't have any white areas?

Not sure of your point. I didn't say it does have any (we're both excluding the white in the tail of course).

Me too (though the spot does appear whiter than most of the sacking). I referenced it for completeness because someone else had proposed it (see much further above).
I'm referring to the opbviously paler, almost white, throat on the OP compared to the link Tom sent of juvs and the pic I sent of an adult. Rock Martin should be uniformly, warm underneath.

I'm referring to the opbviously paler, almost white, throat on the OP compared to the link Tom sent of juvs and the pic I sent of an adult. Rock Martin should be uniformly, warm underneath.
Some are really pale below, my post were juveniles which are almost orange but show this little supraloral eyebrow

I fear that we simply have here real differences in people's perceptions of the same photos. So there's not much to be done about that.
the opbviously paler, almost white, throat on the OP compared to the link Tom sent of juvs and the pic I sent of an adult
No photo in this thread shows a bird with an 'almost white' throat. Again, apply the snowflake test.
Rock Martin should be uniformly, warm underneath
Your photo isn't: throat, upper chest and lower chest/belly form three distinct zones, and the lowest zone is quite mucky (as in all the photos posted/linked here).
neither mine nor Toms shots, compare with the OP.
Disagree. For the underparts, the pattern is the same in all posted/linked photos, and the differences between them lie only in intensity of the orangey, which may simply be a photo or lighting effect. There's no mystery or inconsistency here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back