• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Unknown Bird from PNG (1 Viewer)

Joe H

United States
I photographed this bird in the hills above Rabaul, New Britain Island, PNG on 4 March 2010. We were at about 350 meters elevation in a primary forest near a sports field. For size comparison, the Moustached Treeswift is 28 – 30 centimeters long.

I’ve never been able to ID the bird but thought I’d ask for some pointers here. My first thought was that it might be a Monarch of some kind. See the picture below of a Black-tailed Monarch. It has the jagged wing marking but overall slightly wrong shape and the tail in the photos looks shorter.

The unknown bird’s bill looks more like a larger honeyeater to me. The belly and breast of the bird looks like it might be dark. Compared to the treeswifts, I don’t think it’s just a shadow but it could be.

I don’t have much access to bird guides of that region but if anyone could offer any suggestions I’d really appreciate it. I readily acknowledge that based on such poor pictures, a positive ID may not be possible.

Thank you!

Attachments

• png bird 1.JPG
    png bird 1.JPG
    93.3 KB · Views: 84
  • png bird 2.jpg
    png bird 2.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 90
  • png bird 3.jpg
    png bird 3.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 93
  • black tailed monarch.JPG
    black tailed monarch.JPG
    52.7 KB · Views: 90
Thank you both for the input! Definitely not a monarch. My only guide from those days is a photographic one of New Guinea and the Bismarck Archipelago. It’s got pictures of the Common Cicadabird and Black-bellied Cuckoo Shrike but only descriptive notes for five other similar species. I never considered intermediate molts. I’ll do some more internet checking, but given the poor quality of the photo this one will probably remain questionable, but your suggestions sure help narrow it in. Thanks!

Thanks for mentioning and identifying the book! It's an honor having guidance from a field guide author. Many thanks again. I'll keep an eye out for the possibility that heinrothi gets split from Common or lumped with Melenasian.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back