• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Brown backed martin from Tanzania (Serengeti) (2 Viewers)

Sorry to have caused so much debate here, although maybe that's a good thing? So - more info about location etc. The bird was seen at the Tabora B Gate into the Serengeti NP. It was a bright day and we stopped for lunch here and I sat watching flocks of hirundines zooming around among the buildings. This one in particular was the only one that would keep still enough for me to photograph it as it kept landing on this window-sill and resting for around a minute or two before taking off again. The window was in deep shadow. I have another photo which I now show which shows a pale tail feather quite clearly and not a detail of the sacking behind the bird. But I tend to think it must be an aberration, a leucistic feather? Given the dark nature of the "supralorals" and the dark nature of the "white" underparts, is a hybrid rock/banded out of the question?

Attachments

• BRI_3304.jpg
    BRI_3304.jpg
    204.8 KB · Views: 15
Sorry to have caused so much debate here, although maybe that's a good thing? So - more info about location etc. The bird was seen at the Tabora B Gate into the Serengeti NP. It was a bright day and we stopped for lunch here and I sat watching flocks of hirundines zooming around among the buildings. This one in particular was the only one that would keep still enough for me to photograph it as it kept landing on this window-sill and resting for around a minute or two before taking off again. The window was in deep shadow. I have another photo which I now show which shows a pale tail feather quite clearly and not a detail of the sacking behind the bird. But I tend to think it must be an aberration, a leucistic feather? Given the dark nature of the "supralorals" and the dark nature of the "white" underparts, is a hybrid rock/banded out of the question?
Could the white on the tail feather be another bird's dropping?

I think this confirms Rock Martin. This new pic has a better colour balance and shows that the supralorals and underparts are indeed buffy. Rock martin has white windows in its tail, one of which we see here. Not sure why we need to search further...

For the underparts, the pattern is the same in all posted/linked photos, and the differences between them lie only in intensity of the orangey, which may simply be a photo or lighting effect. There's no mystery or inconsistency here.
Still applies. Straightforward juvenile rock martin; nothing complicated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back