• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bruny Island, Tasmania (1 Viewer)

chowchilla

I am hoping to go to Tasmania this coming September for a week or so and am researching the feasibility of getting around without my own transport; I fly into and out of Hobart.

I am hoping to get the endemics and any local specialities such as Olive Whistler and Pink Robin, neither of which I've ever seen.

I've always been under the impression that Bruny is the place to head, but am happy to be corrected. I will hitch there and back if need be.

Any information on the best places to look for endemics would be much appreciated.:t:

I am hoping to go to Tasmania this coming September for a week or so and am researching the feasibility of getting around without my own transport; I fly into and out of Hobart.

I am hoping to get the endemics and any local specialities such as Olive Whistler and Pink Robin, neither of which I've ever seen.

I've always been under the impression that Bruny is the place to head, but am happy to be corrected. I will hitch there and back if need be.

Any information on the best places to look for endemics would be much appreciated.:t:

Hi Chowchilla

some of the responses to this thread might be useful, especially for the areas around Hobart

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=213775

(although I've just spotted that you responded to the thread so have probably checked it out already)

Inverawe gardens is easily reachable by bus and Peter Murrell reserve might be as well.

I was staying with friends in Hobart so was driven to Bruny Island, as they only had a passing interest in birds we went for the day and were neither early enough nor late enough to see the penguins. I think that it is probably essential to stay overnight and this is the supposed to be best place to stay.

http://www.inalabruny.com.au/

I tried to arrange it before I went (but it was a few years ago now), but left it far too late to try and book!

Good luck

Roberta

If you do manage to get to Bruny I'd imagine that would be your best option, but if you based yourself in Hobart it would be possible to see all the endemics using public transport.

It's easy to get to Peter Murrell Reserve and Mount Wellington by bus, and combining those sites should allow you to find all the endemics. Strong-billed Honeyeater was the one that I missed out on, and I didn't make any effort to see Tasmanian Thornbill, Scrubtit or Black Currawong on Mount Wellington as I'd seen them a few days before in the Cradle Mountain area, but all should be possible!

G'day Chowie,

Tasie for us from this post and onto next page http://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=1314258&postcount=347

Good luck Chowie. As I recall we did see all the endemics, Olive Whistler and Pink Robin on Bruny, as well as Blue-winged and Swift Parrots, Little Penguin etc. But Bruny Island's quite big, and the Pardalotte's right in the north of it, so you'll have to walk a very long way between the northern and southern Bruny sites (20+km?), but I think it ought to be an easy hitch once on the island(?).

Last edited:
Hi folks,

First of all, mucho apologies for not replying sooner; work has been an absolute pig of late and even coming on here to do a bit of modding has been tricky.

So much useful information already! Thank you so much one and all; there is more than enough there for me to be getting along with.

I've booked my trip for late September. Would anyone know if that is too early for Swift Parrots?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back