• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Buff-bellied Pipit (1 Viewer)

No white at all on the second outermost TF I see. That only leaves Rock doesn't it?... Presumably littoralis. and being female and small would account for the bill. It looks like a 1st year (contrast in the GCs).

Any sign of uniform growth bars in the tail..they do look quite fresh feathers?

Andrew said:
To me many of the feathers look worn so it may have travelled a fair distance.

Actually it doesn't look that worn at all...just a little dishevelled. Look at the outer primaries... very very fresh feathers and the tail is incredibly tidy for a 1st year bird...

As Andrew says, many of the feathers look very abraded. I'm not a ringer and I'm probably being very silly, but could the bird have missed a moult for some reason? If so, could the paler, older feathers have become bleached, adding to the Meadow Pipit like look and leaving the darkers fathers looking more contrasting?

If this sounds a bit desperate, you're right!

Jason

You beat me to it, Jane! I'll take your word for it, but some of those feathers still look tatty to me - the wing coverts for example. And are the inner primaries as fresh as the outer ones? If the tail feathers are still growing that would explain the short tail - which I assume was your reasoning. What chance of a delayed moult - and a faded bird?

Jason

me neither Jason

far be it from me to cast nasturmiums bout ringers though.....

nasturmiums are a bit like nasturtiums (some pedant correct the spelling pls)

Last edited:
Look at the tail on the bird. The pattern is assymetric, or at least appears so. The left-hand side shows that dusky distal web, typical of Rockit and nothing at all in the second outermost..... the right hand side appeas to show a gleaming clean white web and ther is just a hint that there might be a pale tip to T5...thought perhaps not the white you would hope to see.

Attachments

• tail.JPG
    tail.JPG
    41 KB · Views: 202
I'll run the video again Jane, but the problem with videograbs is that 9 out of 10 frames are blurred because the bird is moving. if I have one I'll post it tonight when I get home.

Darrell

Some of the tail feathers do look a little different in length, like it might be growing some, though its hard to tell without an even spread

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back