• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Buff-bellied Pipit (1 Viewer)

mmm....it's on heck of an odd bird - your first pix were very interesting indeed Darrell

the amount of seemingly bold and defined streaking underneath is still very strange to my eyes

I thought the Rock Pipitish jizz came over OK in the photos, but the plumage doesn't fit at all. I'm still completely stumped.
Jason

I'd still think this was a Scandi Rockit with a slightly lightweight bill and unsually sharp breast streaking if I saw it on the beach here... I think I'm sold on coming to see it...mind you I just drank way too much wine and am feeling reckless! I can't see Mipit in it!

I'm still with littoralis but as Jane says, with an unusually fine bill. I don't think the breast streaking is too fine.
I don't subscribe to the hybrid theory.

I'm out of my depth with this bird but I think the Meadow Pipit impression comes to a great extent from the tail, which Darrell mentions is short.

Dick Newell has posted some interesting comments on the surfbirds newsgroup.

Stephen.

Hi Jane,
This is what Dick Newell says - I hope he doesn't mind being quoted on here

"I cannot reconcile its features with any candidate European pipit:
Meadow Pipit: nature and extent of breast and flank streaking.
Rock Pipit: Overal tone, white outer tail feather, pink legs, small bill, excessive pink in bill.
japonicus: just doesn’t look right when compared with other photos, neck patch not black enough, lack of orange on rear flanks, wrong shape.
rubescens: see Julian’s arguments below
Water Pipit: braces on back and too heavy streaking on back, wrong shape.

I can only guess that the pictures are some distortion of the truth, or it is an extremely aberrant version of some common form or it is a hybrid (I always dislike reaching for hybrid).
Dick Newell, Cambridge, UK"

As for the tail - your wish is my command!!

Attachments

• BB Pipit 4.jpg
    BB Pipit 4.jpg
    328.3 KB · Views: 239
Hi Jane,

Spent all day yesterday trying to catch it. It went over the net, walked under the net, and even flew towards the net before seeing it and doubling back on itself. We'll try again when the New Year holiday is over and the site is a bit quieter (and there is less wind to stop the net flapping about!)

Darrell

Good luck.... I don't suppose there is anything you could bait a spring trap with....? Considered a clap net? This pic above shows the strange pattern on the upper two tertials.... narrow buffy widening to a whitish tip...

Its been so foul here I haven't been able to get out after Rock and Mipits to see if its as unusual as I remember!

Last edited:
and this may be obvious...but if you do catch it look for growth bars on the tail feathers... it might be replacing them all at once, hence the short-tailed appearance.

This is the bird I was referring to earlier...taken by Major Wildlife... I've lightened the pic. Does it look at all familiar?

Attachments

• 4360Meadow-Pipit-y_.jpeg
    4360Meadow-Pipit-y_.jpeg
    50.4 KB · Views: 135
Hi Jane,
Superficially your pic looks like our bird, however the Looe Pipit has a bigger eyering, which is unbroken, and a very noticable supercillium, which extends beyond the eye. The streaks on the breast are also longer and sharper, less 'splodgy' The lores are paler than on your photo, and the hindclaw is blackish.

Darrell

Darrell Clegg said:
Hi Jane,

Spent all day yesterday trying to catch it. It went over the net, walked under the net, and even flew towards the net before seeing it and doubling back on itself. We'll try again when the New Year holiday is over and the site is a bit quieter (and there is less wind to stop the net flapping about!)

Darrell

Not really wishing to start a ringing debate BUT didn't the BTO put a stop to random trapping in order just to ID a bird?????

I think they did...but if you ask me its a bit silly. Catching it measuring it an releasing it is a whole lot better than shooting it...as identification pioneers from an earlier age were prone to doing!

Perhaps the guys were hoping to catch a good number of Meadow and Rock Pipits with the offchance that the mystery bird was also caught by accident ;)

Jane Turner said:
I think they did...but if you ask me its a bit silly. QUOTE]

Not really,as the aims of ringing are not identification. If the bird cannot still be ID'd 100% in the hand ( which I guess this bird cannot) then no ring can be put on it!
Must admit, looking at the photos I still can't see why it just isn't an "odd" Meadow Pipit.

JP

I didn't say the bird should be ringed! The wing formula and extent of white (precise) in its tail are going to be hard to get in the field..

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back