• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bullfinches! (1 Viewer)

Sancho

Europe
This morning there were a pair of bullfinches in my garden, feeding on the new buds of a Honeysuckle. They're one of my all-time favourite birds, and this being a tiny garden, a yard really, I've only once ever seen a Bullfinch in it, a single male in autumn four years ago. I was thrilled, watched them for about ten minutes, and then......went for my binos. You may have seen the thread "Do Large-Objective Binos Scare Birds?". Well, I came back with 32mm binos, raised them to my eyes (inside a room, four metres from the window, which is six metres from the Honeysuckle where the Bullfinches were...so imagine what the Bullfinch can see....window, darkened room, four metres inside it a hominid with small binoculars...). So the second I raised the binos to my eyes, the male took flight. And the female followed about 20 seconds later.

So that's were my Bullfinches have gone!!!
We had them regularly for 18 months until about 4 weeks ago-then nothing, they've obviously emigrated to Bray.
When you have had enough of them would you send them back please.

Great Sancho, i thought it was fab when we got them too.Shame about the bins ha ha.
Yeah, I hope it doesn´t put them off coming back. They seem to be well into Honeysuckle, the autumn bird some years back was feeding on it too. I can´t look at Bullfinches without feeling a warm glow, shame their population in the British Isles has crashed 28% in the last decade.

Was up in Cruisetown Tues. Saw the 3 juv. icegull and field with Hooper.Heading down Balbriggan/Gormanstown way this morn.Did Boyne estuary on Wed.Amazing number of Golden Plover 000`s.Beautiful sight.

We've got two couples of bullfinches at the moment who absolutely adore sunflower hearts-go through kilograms of the stuff.

One Mrs. Bullfinch in particular has before spent an entire morning eating, and became almost circular!!!

I love finches I have never seen a bullfinch yet.
I went to look them up on Wikipedia and there is almost nothing at all on them. If some of you guys get board you should post some info in Wikipedia about them.

Been having odd singles since early December but yesterday and today our Copper Beech has hosted flocks of up to 15 birds each day - looks like they are have an entree of Beech buds before dropping down to clean up under our feeding station.

I have enjoyed a pair of bullfinches in the garden at the feeders, lovely. However today I have mixed emotions as I watched another male eating the buds of my young plum tree, flower buds! Bit of a dilema, like my fruit trees love the bullfinches, love the plums? Which comes first. As if all the other treats on offer for the birds are not enough.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back