• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bumble Hole & Warrens Hall LNR (1 Viewer)

When you said........Rhum i thought it might have been the 'other' Dove but it seems that Midlanders are not destined to get this sp going on the gist of the MD thread........

Laurie:t:

A quick visit today main highlight Goosander x3 female, also Redwing c30, Fieldfare c12, Bullfinch 2 male, 2 female and Little Grebe x2,
Good Birding YAMYAM

An hour on site this morning Goosander x8, Little Grebe x2, Buzzard x2, Sparrowhawk x1, Redwing x60+, Fieldfare x 40+ and Blackbird c30+.
Good Birding YAMYAM

Due to a unforeseen change In my financial circumstances I will not be able to get over to Bumble Hole for a while, me and the other half can't afford to run a motor at the moment so it will be birding on the doorstep with Sheepwash and Sandwell with in walking distance I will be birding these places for the near future.
Good Birding in 2014 YAMYAM

Last edited:
Sorry to hear that but shanks' pony and/or a pushbike isn't overrated and is actually local birding;) At least you've a couple of places where you might find something.....

Laurie:t:

Yes on foot and bike certainly let you find every nook and cranny of the patch and as Paul says lots of places and species waiting to be found....just look at the Shrike by Hopwood...

Keith :t:

No postings on this thread for along time, but as We were without the car (MOT) we went for a walk along the Canal today to Bumble Hole in the freezing winter sunshine. It was very quiet but not a bad list, the highlight being 8 Little Grebe on the 'hole' itself. The list: Mallard, Coot, Moorhen, Canada Geese, Black-headed Gull, starling, Woodpigeon, Buzzard (2), great Tit, Blue Tit, Long-tailed Tit, Bullfinch, Redwing, House Sparrow, Grey Heron, Tufted Duck, Wren, Dunnock, Robin, Feral Pigeon.

Nice to have an update from a, now under-reported, site. Unfortunately YamYam has moved to pastures new.....

For some of us being 'without the car' is the norm but the upside is that it means local birding, proper local, there are enough updates from the 'hotspots' more is needed from the 'notspots';)

So that's where the 2 long-staying Little Grebe from Withymoor have gone?

Laurie

Recently moved to the area. Visited here a few times back in 2013 although the unbelievable amount of times I trod in dog poop and a distinct lack of birds put me off and I looked to bird pastures new.
Anyway, hoping to bird here a lot more regularly as it seems to have produced good birds in the past.
Popped in yesterday for an hour and had Mallard, Coot, Canada Goose, Wood Pigeon, Carrion Crow, Magpie, Greenfinch, Goldfinch, Dunnock and an abundance of Blackbirds and Robins. Not a lot but hopefully more to come.

A couple of hours on site this am, Robin, House Sparrow, Dunnock, Blue Tit, Great Tit, Long-tailed Tit, Greenfinch, Goldfinch, Chaffinch, Bullfinch, Wren, Blackcap, Chiffchaff, Blackbird, Starling, Song Thrush, Green Woodpecker, Magpie, Carrion Crow, Feral Pigeon, Wood Pigeon, Mallard, Coot, Moorhen, Canada Goose, Lesser Black-Backed Gull, Buzzard, Sparrowhawk and the highlight being a solitary Little Grebe on the small pool near to the car park

Last edited:
Had a couple of hours here this morning, Birds were very vocal and there seemed to be a lot of activity.
Had all the usual suspects although no Little Grebe was seen I had a pair of Tufted ducks on Bumble hole pool as well as a Grey Heron. Another Grey Heron on the pool near the car park,
A Mistle Thrush, GS Woodpecker and a Whitethroat being the other highlights.

I visited Bumble and Warrens Hall this morning. There were plenty of active and vocal birds. I managed to see: Magpies, Mallards, Canada Geese, Black-headed Gulls, a Lesser Black-backed Gull, Moorhens, Woodpigeons, Dunnocks (treated to a lovely song by one), Carrion Crows, a Great Spotted Woodpecker, Robins, a Wren, Long-tailed Tits, Great Tits, Blue Tits, Blackbirds, a Nuthatch, Stock Doves, Coots, two Grey Herons (one juvenile), Song Thrushes, a Coal Tit, a Cormorant, Tufted Ducks (M + F), a Buzzard, Greenfinches (M+F), a male Bullfinch and a male Chaffinch.

The feed station, that's not far from the visitors centre, was where the Nuthatch and Great Spotted Woodpecker were seen.

I went again this morning before work. Highlights were a brief sighting of a Kingfisher in the small arm by Red Pool, three Bullfinch (2 males, 1 female) all in the same tree next to Toll End Works bridge. Also, three Great Spotted Woodpeckers chasing each other around the feeding station. No sign of the Nuthatch today.

I'll certainly check the paddocks next month, Laurie. Thanks for the heads up.

I went to Bumble Hole on Monday morning and this morning. On Monday I saw a Water Rail on Bumble Hole Lake. It could be seen well from the viewing platform (the one with the ramp) making its way around the lake towards the platform. I couldn't locate it this morning at all.

There were approximately six Redwing sitting in a tree close to the lake this morning and approximately a further 22 on the football field up by the paddocks.

Just moved to the area around Bumble Hole and would like information about the birding in the area this will not affect my volunteering at Sandwell Valley RSPB on Wednesday afternoon's
Are the canals a good birding area or is it just the reserve/park itself.

Just moved to the area around Bumble Hole and would like information about the birding in the area this will not affect my volunteering at Sandwell Valley RSPB on Wednesday afternoon's
Are the canals a good birding area or is it just the reserve/park itself.
There is a volunteer group at the Bumble Hole that you may wish to join. I know one member is a birder.

I am currently a vol for RSPB but would be willing to help out at Bumble Hole will have to ask many thanks for the info.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back