• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bumble Hole & Warrens Hall LNR (1 Viewer)

I have recorded pheasant several times over the last couple of years around Bumble Hole / Warrens Hall and can also remember seeing a Red Legged Partridge on Banklands Pitches a couple of years ago, cheers simon

Thanks Simon for that information on the Pheasant. I have also added Red Leg to the sight list taking it to 96.
Good Birding YAMYAM

Four hours on the patch today produced 42 species with 3 being patch ticks Willow Tit (66), Yellowhammer (67) x 2male and a Snipe (68), Also seen Buzzard x1, Bullfinch x1 female, Coal Tit x1, Fieldfare x1, Redwing x9, Siskin x2, Goldcrest x2, Stock Dove x1, Goldfinch x30+, Greenfinch x20+, Long Tailed Tit x18, Goosander x1 female & Kingfisher. Also of note I had at least 8 Wren they seem to have done quite well considering how nasty it has been.
Good Birding YAMYAM

An evening visit to warrens hall between 17:30 & 18:00 hrs produced Wood pigeon 500+, Magpie 150+, Carrion Crow 12 & Canada geese x20 over,
Good Birding YAMYAM

On sight for first light today but only 30 species noted main highlights was a Short Eared Owl (68) over Warrens Hall at 07:50 pursued by two Carrion Crows lost too view heading in the general direction of Saltwells, new for sight (97). My second Woodcock on the patch took a few more years off! Other highlights Bullfinch x2 male, Goosander x3 male & 3 female, Moorhen x16, Lesser Black Back x9, Kingfisher x1 & House Sparrow x17.
Good Birding YAMYAM

Last edited:
Two hours on sight today in the rain gave me 34 species, highlights being Bullfinch x 3 male & 2 female, Goldfinch x 17, Green Woodpecker x 2, Treecreeper x 1, Stock Dove x 1, Song Thrush x 3, Redwing x 9, Great Spotted Woodpecker x 1, Mute Swan x 2, Little Grebe x 1 & Goosander x 3 male & 2 female also x 9 birds over Warrens Hall in the direction of Sheepwash.(the S.E.Owl was my 69th species |:$|.)
Good Birding YAMYAM

Last edited:
Hi all I was looking at passage dates for summer migrants in general and two dates for my first Wheatear where 10th March & 12th March at Sheepwash 1989, Can any one better these dates or match them?
Good Birding YAMYAM

Wheatears

Hi all I was looking at passage dates for summer migrants in general and two dates for my first Wheatear where 10th March & 12th March at Sheepwash 1989, Can any one better these dates or match them?
Good Birding YAMYAM
Hi YY,
I haven't checked all the West Midlands records for Wheatears but Sandwell had 1 on March 9th 1991. Sheepwash has done well over the years with birds recorded on March 11th twice in 1990 and 95.
I also had 4 at Sheepwash on 12th March 1989 maybe I saw you there that day?
Geoff

My average arrival date for the fields at West Hagley is the 20th March. I had an exceptionally early bird on the 26th Feb in Worcs at Eades Meadow about 20 years ago.....pre-Internet days.....

Laurie:t:

Yes Geoff more than likely both there on the same day in 1989 we have met several times over the years. Laurie’s date was impressive so I had a quick look at Birds of the West Midlands both editions and the earliest date on record was 23rd Feb 1968
Good Birding YAMYAM

Hi yamyam - I'm a bit of a Kingfisher nut - I've just discovered Warrens Hall LNR - where do you mainly see the kingfisher. Thanks!!

Hi Zomerset
The Kingfisher are seen mainly on Bumble Hole Pool but i have seen them along the Canal.If you visit please post your sighting or put them in the log at the visitor centre many thanks
Good Birding YAMYAM

The first migrant Wheatear of 2013 have hit our coast with birds in Sussex, Aberystwyth and Devon today.
Good Birding YAMYAM

I hate shift work. I had a hour on the Patch today in the rain very little about Little Grebe x2, Long Tailed Tits Nest building, Great Spotted Woodpecker and no Goosander |=(|
Good Birding YAMYAM

Two Hours on the Patch gave me 36 species one being a patch tick Meadow Pipit x2 (70)
Other highlights being Waxwing x2, Redwing x50+, Buzzard, Stock Dove, Goldfinch x10, Goldcrest, Little Grebe, Grey Heron x2, Black Headed Gull x150+, Lesser Black Backed x12 & Herring Gull x2, Still no Goosander |=(|
Good Birding YAMYAM

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back