• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bumble Hole & Warrens Hall LNR (1 Viewer)

An other good day on the patch with 46 species seen with 2 being patch ticks and 1 new for the sight taking it to(98) The first being Tawny Owl (71) being mobbed by several Magpies as in tried too roost in a holly bush. Second being a total surprise in the form of a Grey Partridge (72) flushed from a Field on Warrens Hall Farm side of the patch. This being a new bird for the sight a cracking record being so scarce in the County. Other highlights being Woodcock, Buzzard, Green Woodpecker, Great Spotted Woodpecker x2, Coal Tit, Goldcrest, Long Tailed Tits x 6 & Little Grebe x2,
Good Birding YAMYAM

I would say Grey Partridge is an exceptional bird for an urban area, I wonder if it's a bird moving about or a possible relict breeder?

Laurie:t:

It would be nice to think the Grey Partridge was a surviving remnant of past breeding birds. But I believe more likely it’s a wondering individual but only the Partridge will know the true answer. There is a lovely green corridor all the way from the Wolverhampton road taking in Portway Hill, two Golf courses, The Quarry, Warrens Hall & then Bumble Hole if you get chance have a look at a google map of he area. It looks like a great area to any passing birds!! Who's got my Goosander |=@|
Good Birding YAMYAM

Three hours on the patch today gave me 40 species one being a long over due patch tick in the form of a Nuthatch(73) x2, It was also national Corvid day with six species seen, Raven x3, Jay x5, Rook x4, Jackdaw x4, Carrion Crow x30+ & Magpie x40+. Also of note Woodcock x1, Bullfinch x2 (pair), Green Woodpecker x3, Buzzard x2, Pheasant x1male, Coal Tit, Song Thrush x2, Grey Heron x5, Great Spotted Woodpecker x3, Little Grebe x3 & Goosander x3 (2male) |=)|
Good Birding YAMYAM

Last edited:
I have found a record of Lesser Whitethroat from Warrens Hall in 1993 so this now takes the sight list to 99.
Good Birding YAMYAM

Two hours on the patch today gave me 37 species with two being new for my patch list. Reed Bunting (74) x 1male & Sky Lark (75) x1. Also of note: - Buzzard x1, Green Woodpecker x2, Song Thrush, Jackdaw x2, Stock Dove x5, Woodcock x1, Redwing x20 & Little Grebe.
Good Birding YAMYAM

Two hours on the patch today gave me 37 species with two being new for my patch list. Reed Bunting (74) x 1male & Sky Lark (75) x1. Also of note: - Buzzard x1, Green Woodpecker x2, Song Thrush, Jackdaw x2, Stock Dove x5, Woodcock x1, Redwing x20 & Little Grebe.
Good Birding YAMYAM

Hi Yamyam,

Seems to be frequent sightings of Woodcock on your patch, never seen one myself.

Can you give me some idea of whereabouts , time of day , etc., I,m not too far from you but never visited area round Bumblehole.

Any info appreciated.

Thanks

Albional

Hi Albional, all but one of my Woodcock sighting have been on the Warrens Hall side of the patch all AM sighting and all flushed (not intentional) or in flight. Good luck if you pop over there please post any sighting.
Good Birding YAMYAM

Hi Albional, all but one of my Woodcock sighting have been on the Warrens Hall side of the patch all AM sighting and all flushed (not intentional) or in flight. Good luck if you pop over there please post any sighting.
Good Birding YAMYAM

Thanks YAMYAM,
I will have a wander over one of the mornings , might see you knocking about.

Albional

Could not get my car out today and I didn’t fancy the four mile walk so I watched the garden: - House Sparrow x6, Robin x2, Wren, Dunnock x2, Great Tit x4, Blackbird x3, Blue Tit x4, Long Tailed Tit x2, Wood Pigeon x15, Magpie x8, Mistle Thrush x2, Starling x9, Collared Dove x2, Great Spotted Woodpecker x1 also Black Headed/Lesser Black Back/Herring Gull & Grey Heron over. 18 species not bad for a urban garden.
Good Birding YAMYAM

Could not get my car out today and I didn’t fancy the four mile walk so I watched the garden: - House Sparrow x6, Robin x2, Wren, Dunnock x2, Great Tit x4, Blackbird x3, Blue Tit x4, Long Tailed Tit x2, Wood Pigeon x15, Magpie x8, Mistle Thrush x2, Starling x9, Collared Dove x2, Great Spotted Woodpecker x1 also Black Headed/Lesser Black Back/Herring Gull & Grey Heron over. 18 species not bad for a urban garden.
Good Birding YAMYAM
Hi Yamyam,
I was in the same boat as you, garden watch only. Had my first ever gulls in the garden, 10 Black-headed Gull and 2 adult Lesser Black-backed Gulls on the shed roof feeding on food scraps, also only my second visit of Crow, times must be hard.
Geoff

Just when I thought it was all over two more fly over, Carrion Crow & Canada Geese x12.
Good Birding YAMYAM

On the Patch for two hours today gave me 34 species. Birds of note Cormorant x 1, (flying in the direction of Sheepwash) Fieldfare x3, Redwing x6, Pheasant x1 male, Grey Heron x3, Jay x1, Sparrowhawk x1, Stock Dove x3, Lesser Spotted Woodpecker x1, Jackdaw x2, Long Tailed Tit x3, Little Grebe x2 & Goosander x4 |=)| (2male) also 2 Moorhens ripping into a carcass off a dead Canada Goose.
Good Birding YAMYAM

Last edited:
Hi all I’ve just dug out my Samsung camera not used it for a while I thought I would start carrying it with me you never know I might get a half decent photo off something if not birds at least I can take some pictures of my patch for those out there who have never been to the area only problem is how do I attach a thumbnail? HELP PLEASE
Good Birding YAMYAM

Upload yr photo (it is only shown on here as a thumbnail) to yr PC.

Go on to yr Birdforum thread.

Type yr message (the photo is shown last, at the bottom of posts).

Scroll down to 'manage attachments' - click on this - it will bring up a menu.

Click browse, this will highlight yr PC, find where the picture is (it is handy to upload or copy to Desktop.

Click on Photo and it will put it next to the 'browse' and then click 'upload photo'.

Close window then Submit Reply..........

Laurie:t:

Three hours on the patch today gave me 34 species with the main highlight being a Mealy Redpoll (76) this being new for me on the patch and a new bird for the site putting site list on 100. The Mealy was in with a flock of Redpoll x14 on the Warrens Hall Farm side of the patch, other birds of note Buzzard x3,Lesser Black Back x15, Raven x2, Stock Dove x2, Skylark x1, Jay x2, Redwing x6, Great Spotted Wood x1 & Goosander x15 |=)| (9 male)
Good Birding YAMYAM

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back