• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bushnell Legend M sticky focus wheel (1 Viewer)

Scudder

Canada
I gave my mother a brand new set of Bushnell Legend M 8x42 binos. The focus ring is hard to turn. I was wondering if I could use Jig a loo, which is a dry silicone lubricant to loosen it up?

Any advice?

Gently operate the focus back and forth through the range a bunch of times. The friction/stiffness is in the internal mechanism. This will probably solve your problem eventually. It did for my 2 pairs of Legend Ms. Whatever lube you use externally, DO NOT use white lithium greases. A silicone should be fine.

Out of curiousity where did you find a brand new pair? I've got a thing for binos that punch above their price range and I've always head great things about the Legend M.

Out of curiousity where did you find a brand new pair? I've got a thing for binos that punch above their price range and I've always head great things about the Legend M.
I bought them at B&H Photo a while back, but I only gave them to my mother recently. The focus wheel was stiff straight out of the box and still is.

The focus wheel is still stiff on mine after 4 years of regular use as well. Its tolerable for how good they are optically and how inexpensive they were to acquire. And yes, they do live up to the hype provided you don't have to wear glasses and don't mind large bodies. Very very close optically to my conquests and Monarch HGs, slightly smaller sweet spot, equal in brightness, sharpness, excellent color accuracy/neutrality, and CA control. But definitely an overly stiff focuser (internal lubricant choice issue I suspect). Hinge tightness is good, diopter is stable. I found my pairs new on closeout for $160 and $220 respectively. Insane bargains in retrospect and a true testament to Chinese production when they get it almost right. I can bird a 6 to 8hr day without headaches or eye strain. I cannot do/tolerate that with Vortex Diamondbacks or Nikon Monarch 5's, for reference.

Difficult to find a 8X42 today (at that price) that performs near the Legend M. I paid a bit more, but I also really like the Monarch 7 in both 8 and 10X42.

I have two pairs of Legend M 8x42's and one is significantly stiffer than the other. It's actually the one I keep inside the house and sees a lot more use. It improves a bit when its warmer, but hasn't really changed in 3.5 years. I love the Legend M's and only wish they were a bit lighter having just drug them on a 60mi, 10k ft elevation gain backpacking trip last weekend.

I have two pairs of Legend M 8x42's and one is significantly stiffer than the other. It's actually the one I keep inside the house and sees a lot more use. It improves a bit when its warmer, but hasn't really changed in 3.5 years. I love the Legend M's and only wish they were a bit lighter having just drug them on a 60mi, 10k ft elevation gain backpacking trip last weekend.
How does the focus backlash compare between the two ?

On the parent Zen-Ray design, focus stiffness has an inversely proportional relationship with focus backlash ...... so be careful what you wish for.

If I recall correctly, there is an internal adjustment screw that takes care of this balancing act, rather than solely being dependent on lubrication type.

Temperature also plays a part, with the performance of any particular unit being different depending on whether you are in a 50°C desert or sub-zero mountains ......

Chosun 🙎‍♀️

I am having this same problem. I love the optics but tend not to grab them because the focusing is so stiff and raspy. I called bushnell to ask if there was anything they could do to loosen it up and they said they couldn't know unless I sent them in and I am apprehensive to pay to ship them there to presumably tell me that they are functioning as intended.

Hmmm. Any guess on how stiff yours is? Like how many pounds of force your finger must apply to turn the knob? Mine is probably less than pushing a 5lbs book across a table. And honestly it is fairly close the stiffness of my Monarch HGs….

Probably worth sending them in if it is way too stiff for you. Take advantage of the lifetime warranty. Worse that can happen is they send you a new pair.

They will not send him a new pair, but an equal replacement from what is currently manufactured, likely a Legend HD, which to me is not close to the M.

You don’t think they will replace with a Forge?

If there is a set screw adjustment to be made, and Bushnell won’t “service” their own binos, you could call Suddarth Optical and see if they will adjust them for you. That way you would know in advance if you were going to get some service for your shipping costs.

I still think you could advocate for yourself with Bushnell to stand behind their warranty and pony up a replacement Forge for you.

I forgot bout the Forge, yes quite similar to the Legend m -good point, except they priced the Forge above the Legend M, who knows what they would do. I wish I could figure out how to tighten the hinge on the Ms.

They will not send him a new pair, but an equal replacement from what is currently manufactured, likely a Legend HD, which to me is not close to the M.
This is my fear, I looked through a legend HD once and it was clear that the fast objectives were not doing them any favors compared to their Legend M "predecessors". I am sure that I would be happy with a forge but given their current price points I doubt they would replace them with those.
I wish I could figure out how to tighten the hinge on the Ms.
Interesting, I find my hinge tightness to be spot on perfect. I guess they are really showing that the tradeoff for the great optics for the price is the mechanical qualities/consistency.

You don’t think they will replace with a Forge?

If there is a set screw adjustment to be made, and Bushnell won’t “service” their own binos, you could call Suddarth Optical and see if they will adjust them for you. That way you would know in advance if you were going to get some service for your shipping costs.

I still think you could advocate for yourself with Bushnell to stand behind their warranty and pony up a replacement Forge for you.
I think you are right and I may give it a go. As they are now it takes multiple fingers to get it to budge so I am not using them anyways and don't have much to lose. Might as well give Bushnell a chance to make me happy!

Hello, on this model as on most roofs you can adjust hinge tension but the focuser stiffness is not "adjustable" : there is no screw you can turn.
The clearance between threads are a result of machining tolerance and mix & match of the parts.
If the focuser is loose, you can use a heavier grease (often insufficient to compensate the backlash), if it's stiff, you can lap the threads carefully, but that's it. Beyond this, new parts are required to perform a repair.

Cheers,
zp*

This is my fear, I looked through a legend HD once and it was clear that the fast objectives were not doing them any favors compared to their Legend M "predecessors". I am sure that I would be happy with a forge but given their current price points I doubt they would replace them with those.

Interesting, I find my hinge tightness to be spot on perfect. I guess they are really showing that the tradeoff for the great optics for the price is the mechanical qualities/consistency.

I think you are right and I may give it a go. As they are now it takes multiple fingers to get it to budge so I am not using them anyways and don't have much to lose. Might as well give Bushnell a chance to make me happy!
Let us know how it works out for you getting warranty service from Bushnell in 2022 on your M’s. I am also curious what they will do for you.

Let us know how it works out for you getting warranty service from Bushnell in 2022 on your M’s. I am also curious what they will do for you.
Just got them back from Bushnell. To my surprise I got my binoculars back. Work order says they replaced the focuser! It still has a decent amount of slop, is a little noisy, and harder to turn than I prefer, but it is markedly better than what I sent them. Overall I am pleased (after all, with optics this nice for this price one can't expect mechanical perfection) and these will certainly go back into service.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back