• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Butterfly Magnet (1 Viewer)

MikeInPA

Fuck Trump
United States
Last year I planted a couple of Mexican Sunflowers in a flower bed that gets a fair bit of sunlight. Amazing, they grew to be about 8ft tall and had 4-5 inch orange flowers all summer and well into fall. They are a superb butterfly magnet. If you can get them where you live, try them. This year I planted 4, 2 orange and 2 yellow. It's still a little early for the bulk of my yard butterflies but I've seen several on there already.

That's my tip for attracting butterflies. I once asked a butterfly expert for tips on attracting them. His method was to get a ladies stocking, fill it full of sand and pee on it for a week or so.

Hmmm. I'll stick with flowers.

Attachments

• Mexican Sunflower 5.jpg
    Mexican Sunflower 5.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 3
  • Mexican Sunflower 2.jpg
    Mexican Sunflower 2.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 3
  • Eastern Tiger Swallowtail 4.jpg
    Eastern Tiger Swallowtail 4.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Another butterfly magnet is Bergamot (Monarda fistulosa).

These are from today.

Attachments

• Eastern Tiger Swallowtail 4.jpg
    Eastern Tiger Swallowtail 4.jpg
    455.2 KB · Views: 5
  • Eastern Tiger Swallowtail 5.jpg
    Eastern Tiger Swallowtail 5.jpg
    509.7 KB · Views: 5
  • Hummingbird Clearwing  4.jpg
    Hummingbird Clearwing 4.jpg
    410.8 KB · Views: 4
  • Hummingbird Clearwing  5.jpg
    Hummingbird Clearwing 5.jpg
    465 KB · Views: 4
  • Spicebush Swallowtail 4.jpg
    Spicebush Swallowtail 4.jpg
    620.7 KB · Views: 4
  • Great Spangled Fritillary 1.jpg
    Great Spangled Fritillary 1.jpg
    533.5 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back