• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Buttonquails: Shorebirds or not? (1 Viewer)

SzimiStyle

The Shorebird Addict
Clements listing the buttonquails among the shorebirds/waders. They are between the phalaropes and coursers. IOC separates them and lists just before the stone-curlews.

As an author of The New Shorebirds Handbook (in prep) do I go wrong if I vote for IOC and leave the buttonquails out or I am better to think twice regarding the taxonomy to be followed? Any comment on it? Thanks a lot.

Best, Szimi

They've only been transferred to Charadriiformes fairly recently from Gruiformes and probably after the Shorebirds book was being planned and written which could explain their absence.

They are Charadriformes but I wouldn't class them as shorebirds/waders. I'd be tempted to leave them out, never mind the recent taxonomy, and just cover the 'convential' species.

Chris

There have been an argument among us if the Quail-Plover should be included and finally it was accepted just like the Plains-wanderer. It looks quite funny to have the list of shorebirds following a taxonomic sequence and suddenly there is a gap by excluding the buttonquails and then continuing again with the coursers. :-O However we have some time to decode as the artwork creation (colour plates) will be running in the next couple of years. A lot will happen in the taxonomy by then.

Best, Szimi

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back