• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Buying Birdfood in Bulk to save money. (1 Viewer)

Obviously, it depends where you live. We have a store here called Ocean State Job Lot which sells a 50 lb bag of sunflower for $25. (Used to be less than $20!!) Lowe's has decent prices, $15 for a 20 lb bag, I think it was. We also have Christmas Tree Shop, which sells mixed seed and sunflower and suet at decent prices (though since Bed Bath and Beyond bought them out, their prices have risen).

Feed stores like Agway are overpriced. I buy peanuts for the birds at the health food store, $1 less per pound than at Agway!! And the quality at the health food store is better! What a ripoff Agway is.

Can I just ask, has anyone else here had problems with food orders from RSPB recently? I placed an online order with them on 11th December for sunflower hearts, fat balls etc, and three phone calls later, the best I can get out of them is "it's still in the warehouse" and I should (?) have it sometime in the New Year.

I try to support RSPB but frankly if this is the best they can do at the moment, I'm going elsewhere next time. It's a thorough nuisance as I banked on having this order well before Christmas, I've run out of most stuff and have had to buy small bags to keep going from Tesco, B and Q etc which works out a lot dearer.

Or, have I just been unlucky?

John

Can I just ask, has anyone else here had problems with food orders from RSPB recently? I placed an online order with them on 11th December for sunflower hearts, fat balls etc, and three phone calls later, the best I can get out of them is "it's still in the warehouse" and I should (?) have it sometime in the New Year.

I try to support RSPB but frankly if this is the best they can do at the moment, I'm going elsewhere next time. It's a thorough nuisance as I banked on having this order well before Christmas, I've run out of most stuff and have had to buy small bags to keep going from Tesco, B and Q etc which works out a lot dearer.

Or, have I just been unlucky?

John

Hi John, I buy mine in bulk, usually 25Kg bags, works out a lot cheaper.
I use either Titmuss or food4wildbirds.co.uk, but sometimes it's best to shop around for the best deal as some places will do free delivery.. You are quite welcome to chip in with me on any future orders. Just let me know what you require. ATB. Neil.

John Sherratt;1367835 Can I just ask said:
I usually buy from CJ Wildbird foods who are cheaper than RSPB and deliver quickly, eg ca 2 days. Early in December I thought I would restock from RSPB to support them but the seed took over a fortnight to come. I suppose I'll still support RSPB but order next time well before I run out!

Neil,

Thanks for the offer there, that sounds like a good idea putting in a shared order.

I'll certainly let you know when I'm next in the market for putting in a bulk order, and maybe if you could do the same.

When (!) the order from RSPB comes I should hopefully be ok for a few weeks at least. It's still not turned up today, it's not good :-C

Cheers, John

I have just bought 20kg of sunflower hearts from Haiths for £27 plus £1.99 3 day postage. I think this was a very good rate.

I have a nice clear catering style bucket with hinged lid that I keep in the porch for everyday use.

I have just bought 20kg of sunflower hearts from Haiths for £27 plus £1.99 3 day postage. I think this was a very good rate.

I have a nice clear catering style bucket with hinged lid that I keep in the porch for everyday use.

Isn't that the Special offer? Usually it's around £40!

Anyone visiting Eyebrook Reservoir or even Rutland Water then a visit to Eyebrook Wild Bird Feeds at Rectory Farm, Great Easton is recommended. I called in there last Sunday on my way back from Norfolk and loaded all the free space in the car with sacks of bird seed. I must have read about this farm on birdforums on another thread. They do not deliver though.
www.eyebrookwildbirdfeeds.co.uk
Roger

Anyone visiting Eyebrook Reservoir or even Rutland Water then a visit to Eyebrook Wild Bird Feeds at Rectory Farm, Great Easton is recommended. I called in there last Sunday on my way back from Norfolk and loaded all the free space in the car with sacks of bird seed. I must have read about this farm on birdforums on another thread. They do not deliver though.
www.eyebrookwildbirdfeeds.co.uk
Roger

That was probably me, devon.birder!

I'm sure you'll agree that the food is top quality. And genuinely a nice, friendly family there to serve. One birding place that wasn't in it for the money!

That was probably me, devon.birder!

I'm sure you'll agree that the food is top quality. And genuinely a nice, friendly family there to serve. One birding place that wasn't in it for the money!

In that case many thanks for posting the site. Before I left home I printed off the web site's home page as I knew we were staying at the Travelodge near Uppingham on the way back. Having failed to see Smew at Eyebrook on the way up to Norfolk I went to Rutland Water on the way back to see the Hawfinch and 4 drake Smew. We got to the farm with minutes to spare on Sunday morning but the farm owners were so friendly. The lady actually used to live quite close to Tiverton and offered to deliver seed to me when she visits Devon. I haven't opened any of the sacks yet but I am sure the seed will be top quality. I normally buy from Vine House Farm and Soar Mill Seeds two other farms that sell their own seed.
Roger

The cheapest Sunflower hearts I have found are at "Jollyes Petfood Superstore".
£19.99 for 13 Kg.
I don't think they do mail order, but they have over 40 branches.
website " www.jollyes.co.uk "

The Really Wild Bird Food Co. referred to upthread, are doing 20kg for £30.95 delivered, http://www.streetendfeeds.co.uk/product.php?catid=13, which is the same per kilo without the driving. Delivered promptly as well, and going down a treat with a lot of birds in the snow.

Graham

Would anybody ever consider bulk buying if there was a free storage container involved? I know its a pain buying A LOT of food and having no where to store it...does anybody else have this problem?

hi everyone,
with regard to storage, i keep my seed/hearts in plastic jerry cans from halfords[also available mail order from some caravan equipment suppliers] there are two sizes the smallest with a screw on top i think is air tight, the other is the same but has a tap in the cap , not sure if its air tight but keep my food in the garage with no problem at all from damp or mice.
also if any one lives near crewe, i buy oats from mornflake,[standard size flakes] i think the bag was 20 or 25 kg for £8.
s.g.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back