• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Buzzard , N Yorks (1 Viewer)

DOC REED

I'm sure this will turn out to be a common buzzard but just wanted some feedback. I was watching a 'regular' common soaring above me, when a speck glided across field of vision way way up high.I was immediately struck by amount of whiteness.I got onto it, it was gliding fast and away from me, no views upperside.Managed a couple of shots..but they are poor.I was struck in the field and on photos by amount of white that 'appears' to wrap around, suggesting white rump.I attach photos of regular bird first then 2 of the higher bird.Suppose just want to get confirmation its not a RLB.

Attachments

• buzz76.jpg
    buzz76.jpg
    230.2 KB · Views: 106
  • buzz6.jpg
    buzz6.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 122
  • buzz5.jpg
    buzz5.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 94
Just a common doc. We don't get dark morph rough-legs this side of the Atlantic. Some commons can show White in the tail although it is usually quite diffuse.

Looks like standard Common Buzzard. They often show some white around the tail base, but not usually this much! Some of it may be digital artefact?

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back