• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Buzzard from Cape Town (1 Viewer)

Liebzi

HI,

Any thoughts on this adult buzzard from Simon's Town, South Africa on the 4th of December. Bird seen after sunset gliding high on the sky, resulting in poor views and even worse photos. Now after arriving at home and starting looking through photos I bumped into this guy again. I remember I defaulted it to Steppe Buzzard because of the darkish underwingcoverts, even though the white half moon on breast is very distinctive. Maybe that underwing coverts tend to be this dark just because of the poor photo. Brighting it up massively, the bird seem to show very white belly area, and what looks like blotches. Something making me reconsider if this bird could be an adult Forest Buzzard.

I know there is high variation in Buzzards, and very pale Steppe Buzzards out there, but can we rule out Steppe Buzzard just on brownish blotches on the white belly region of this guy with? Or should it go as a buzzard sp?

Best regards,

Anton

Attachments

• Buzz.jpg
    Buzz.jpg
    615.3 KB · Views: 26
The most frequent buzzard here is Jackal Buzzard, and although the structure is difficult to see in this photo ( it has very broad wings and short tail) the strong patterning and colouring suggests this is the species here.

Processing is liable to heighten contrasts, but this striking plumage pattern and these colours are bang on for adult jackal buzzard, which is a very distinctive bird - so no need to look further.

Thank you for quick reply. I don't think you should rely on the colors since the photo's brighting and exposure have been extremely lifted. Jackal didn't even cross my mind since it gave me a very brownish impression, but makes sense with the broad wings and the whitish collar around lower breast. This birds looks a bit similar: ML303881511 Jackal Buzzard Macaulay Library

Thanks

best

Anton

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back