• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Buzzards, Tanzania (1 Viewer)

ekopa

Hello!

Please correct me if I am wrong in these indentifications
1-3 Steppe Buzzard
4 Mountain Buzzard
All photographed in West Usambaras mountains of North-East Tanzania in December

Thanks

Attachments

• 1E6A5424.JPG
    1E6A5424.JPG
    147.5 KB · Views: 38
  • 1E6A5427.JPG
    1E6A5427.JPG
    236.8 KB · Views: 29
  • 1E6A5428.JPG
    1E6A5428.JPG
    406.8 KB · Views: 39
  • 1E6A5458.JPG
    1E6A5458.JPG
    827.7 KB · Views: 40
Agree with 1-3
I'm afraid 4 is a Steppe Buzzard too
Mountain Buzzard is more blotched than barred on white ground colour, also more stocky with shorter wings and tail in adults

Thank you, Tom
If #4 is not a Mountain Buzzard, it's more like a Common Buzzard to me. Should not be there probably with some vulpinus genes

Thank you, Tom
If #4 is not a Mountain Buzzard, it's more like a Common Buzzard to me. Should not be there probably with some vulpinus genes
Hi Ekopa
Steppe Buzzard is very variable and four 'morphs' are recognized: the fox-red (best known and shown in your pictures 1-3), the grey, the dark rufous and the black with many intergrades between the morphs, some looking like classic nominate B.b.buteo. The fact alone it is a trans-equatorial migrant is enough to ID it as pure Steppe

On underbody, or where?
Good to see any description of this species. I've never known how one identifies it other than location/habitat/probability. (y)
Hi Butty
Yes underparts
a few great pictures here http://www.tanzaniabirds.net/African_birds/buzzard_mountain/buzzardmountain.htm
main ID criteria are:
  • silhouette: stocky Buzzard with broad wings and short tail typical of sedentary birds of prey contra long-winged in long distance migrant
  • pure white ground colour and no orange tinge or tawny in brown tones
  • underparts blotchy and only barred on undertail coverts, some show a white breast band as in Common Buzzard
Nice description and pics also in 'African Raptors' by Bill Clark & Rob Davies

Some B.b.buteo cross into Africa, D.Forsman hypothesized that they have partial b.b.vulpinus ancestry. As Tom points out, highly unlikely for trans-equatorial migrants
No worries, I didn’t understand the wording of your question and agree with Tom.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back