• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

California Thrashers (1 Viewer)

Adamos

Ive been birding for a while, and I have never seen a Thrasher. I live in Monterey County California, and although I live in the right spot for them, (great chaparral area) I cant seem to ever spot California Thrashers. I believe I heard them a couple times, but didnt see them close ebough to be sure. Any advice on watching them?

Adamos said:
Ive been birding for a while, and I have never seen a Thrasher. I live in Monterey County California, and although I live in the right spot for them, (great chaparral area) I cant seem to ever spot California Thrashers. I believe I heard them a couple times, but didnt see them close ebough to be sure. Any advice on watching them?

I have only seen one once - at Rancho San Antonio in Palo Alto.

I was lucky enough to spot it running across towards a stand of trees. I crawled into the undergrowth and waited. It finally decided to come out and I got to watch it eat a small green ribbon snake and got some good pictures. See here:
http://www.birdforum.net/pp_gallery/showphoto.php/photo/67046/sort/1/cat/500/page/1

If you check the gallery for pictures you will see that most of the California Thrasher pictures were taken during Spring, when the males will find a very exposed branch and sing. That is probably your best bet. They aren't rare or particularly wary, they just spend most of their time on the ground in brush.

Last edited:
I live in Davis, just inland and north, and I go west to a rock outcrop on the east edge of the coast range to see them in the spring. I have only seen them in the spring (I am only here winter and spring, so that's biased), singing from an exposed perch as mentioned, and I have had good luck mimicking their call as one would a marsh wren to lure them closer. otherwise, when they are calling, I find I have to look as far as 100+ meters ahead of me to spot them before they dive back under the bushes, and then it takes a lot of waiting in silence if I walk up and try to get a closer view. Have some technu handy for treating the poison oak when you get back to your car.

Jon
Northern Cal

jekatz said:
I have only seen them in the spring ....., singing from an exposed perch as mentioned, ....... I find I have to look as far as 100+ meters ahead of me to spot them before they dive back under the bushes,
Exactly.

Adamos said:

I never see too many although they are very neat birds. saw two last weekend down at Montana de oro state park near Morro bay. Not too far away from you.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back