• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

California uber alles (2 Viewers)

Chris D said:
And lastly, I think most American Birders would be happy to take a visiter to their local haunts. Perhaps a call to a local Audubon chapter or a forum like this might be a start for a "Contact" here in the New World. Split the fuel cost and treat for lunch. My fellow colonists enjoy the mother tongue and the zeal of those interested.
That's exactly what a friend of mine did last year when he went to California. He found people very helpful and friendly, one even arranging to pick him up from his hotel to show him round some of the local spots.

Obsessions

We all have our obsessions - mine are small insects - but you make the point about people being thrilled by something "new" for their locality. No problem, they like their locality and they like the animals.
Now, if I'd been on Islay, I probably wouldn't have got out of the distillery ....
Cheers and a happy solstice, Paul
Andrew Whitehouse said:
I must admit that whilst I am perhaps disparaging about the raptor obsessives in America, I'm reminded of the 'Marsh Harrier Man' who apparently used to sit in the hides at Minsmere (maybe he still does) and bellowed loudly whenever a Marsh Harrier appeared. 'Marsh Harrier!' 'Food Pass!' etc to anyone within earshot.

I also know a story about a well-known wildfowl obsessive who once went seawatching in Islay. An adult summer Sabine's Gull flew past along the shore at close range and he calmly pointed out that he'd seen many of these in Spitsbergen. Then a couple of Brent Geese flew by and he went apoplectic with excitement. I know which one would have got me going.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back