• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

California, USA - Gulls galore (2 Viewers)

Fandango739

GeoBird
United States
Palo Alto, California. Seen bayside. October. It has been way too long since I last visited coastal California.

1) Bonaparte's?
2 - 4) ?
5) Herring?
6) ?

I know that's a bunch, but I am truly grateful for any help!

Attachments

• a - Gull 10-27-2023 CA IMG_3207.jpg
    a - Gull 10-27-2023 CA IMG_3207.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 45
  • a - Gulls 10-27-2023 CA IMG_3076.jpg
    a - Gulls 10-27-2023 CA IMG_3076.jpg
    240.6 KB · Views: 36
  • a - Gull 10-27-2023 Palo Alto CA IMG_3177.jpg
    a - Gull 10-27-2023 Palo Alto CA IMG_3177.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 37
  • a - Gull CA IMG_3587.jpg
    a - Gull CA IMG_3587.jpg
    609.5 KB · Views: 36
  • a - Gull CA IMG_3621.jpg
    a - Gull CA IMG_3621.jpg
    654.5 KB · Views: 46
  • a - Gull IMG_3085.jpg
    a - Gull IMG_3085.jpg
    633.8 KB · Views: 44
1. Bonaparte’s
2. Left to right - California, Western, California
3. California
4. Not sure maybe Glaucous-winged
5. Glaucous-winged
6. Ring-billed.

the ones I am less confident about are the left bird in 2 and the bird in 4.

1. all Bonaparte's
2. Ring-billed, Western, California (l.t.r.)
3. California
4. and 5. both look to be hybrids, with 4 looking like an Olympic (Western x Glaucous-winged) and 5. perhaps Cook Inlet Gull (Glaucous-winged x American Herring), on pale iris and shortish, high bill. edit: actually iris is darkish, but orbital is yellow. This yellow orbital makes a difference to the rather purple orbitals of Glaucous-winged, so might still be a Cook Inlet Gull.
6. two Ring-billed and a California (latter is rightmost bird).

1. all Bonaparte's
2. Ring-billed, Western, California (l.t.r.)
3. California
4. and 5. both look to be hybrids, with 4 looking like an Olympic (Western x Glaucous-winged) and 5. perhaps Cook Inlet Gull (Glaucous-winged x American Herring), on pale iris and shortish, high bill. edit: actually iris is darkish, but orbital is yellow. This yellow orbital makes a difference to the rather purple orbitals of Glaucous-winged, so might still be a Cook Inlet Gull.
6. two Ring-billed and a California (latter is rightmost bird).
Photo 6 shows two Ring-billed Gulls and one Short-billed (top left). The rightmost bird is a 1st-cycle Ring-billed (note pale grey greater coverts).
The middle bird in photo 2 might be a hybrid rather than a pure Western, but who knows...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back