• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Camera Choices (1 Viewer)

Greg333

United States
I'm a birder looking for better images than I get with an iPhone on a Kowa TSN-884. I'm looking at distant ducks in early morning low light situations and need just decent results, not NatGeo quality. I'm just starting on this search and know relatively little.

Guessing at focus on an iPhone is a challenge that I'm hoping to resolve with Focus Peaking or some other sort of digital magic.

I'm trying to decide between a Sony a7C (full frame for megapixels and light gathering capabilities) mounted with a TSN-PA7a, or a Sony 6400 with a 20mm (+/-) lens mounted with a DA10 (?) or Digidapter (to reduce the cost)

Will the Focus Peaking function on the a7C without a prime lens?

Will a prime lens improve image quality?

Will the 6400 capture enough light to get a decent image? (Acknowledged - not as well as the a7C.)

I am open to any and all suggestions and insights.

Thanks.

Hi Greg, I'm also new to digiscoping, but I guess the sony you mentioned are too heavy to be able to reduce the vibrations of the whole system: I started digiscoping with A7 and A6000 but everything was too heavy for the tripod. After several tests I found my compromise now use the Panasonic gx800 and 30mm macro (gx850 or gf10 in other markets) which offers the post focus (very comfortable) and a fairly large sensor.
The manual focus I can not do it because the subject has moved before all the vibrations have died down. My 2 cents.
PS sorry for my bad english.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back