• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Can a small bino really deliver? (1 Viewer)

I can't imagine buying compacts for a main birding binocular, but for go-everywhere companions, the compacts are just the ticket. The correct comparison isn't between compacts and bigger binoculars, it's between compacts and no binoculars. And in that comparison, the compacts win out hands down.

A more succinct argument for compacts can not be found. Good job, soloflyfisher.

I have the 8x20 UV's and as time goes by I realize they are indeed keepers, for exactly the reason you point out.

As for "walking downtown in a foreign city" I'm off to book some airline tickets as I write!

Mark

Which would be a better choice to try in a reverse porro compact;

Nikon Prostaff / Travelite EX 8x25, Vortex Vanquish 8x26, or Bushnell 8x26 Legend Ultra?

Nikon Prostaff / Travelite EX 8x25, Vortex Vanquish 8x26, or Bushnell 8x26 Legend Ultra?

Of the many compacts I have tried the Nikon Prostaff / Travelite EX 8x25 and the Olympus Tracker 8x25 were two of the better ones for me. Keep in mind though that no compact will even be close to a good 8x32. I think the reverse porro compact is probably one of the best bargains in the binocular world though. It is surprising what a good image a sub $100.00 reverse porro can bring. The Tracker has a great image but I think like most inexpensive binoculars it is going to be more fragile than the more expensive binoculars. This is something to keep in mind if treat your binoculars roughly.

The Prostaff 8 x 25 has a wider FOV than the Travelite 8 x 25 has. About 40 feet wider @ 1000 yards which is significant. It is also waterproof.

Bob

Last edited:
The Prostaff 8 x 25 has a wider FOV than the Travelite 8 x 25 has. About 40 feet wider @ 1000 yards which is significant. It is also waterproof.

Bob

After sifting through specs in detail the Bushnell looks poor on paper, Vortex appears solidly made, and Nikon Travelite EX looks like the Prostaff ATB which I can not locate on their site. What is the difference?

The 8x25 Olympus Tracker PCI has the best optics of them all, 315 ft FOV, twist up eyecups, 9.9 oz, nonwaterproof, and only $60

If you need waterproof and want to spend almost twice as much, then go with the 8x25 Prostaff, 330 ft FOV, twist up eyecups, 12.5 oz - about $115.

The Travelite is non waterproof, much smaller FOV, has fixed rubber eyecups, the optics are not nearly as good as the Trackers.

The 8x26 Bushnell Legend, Alpen Shasta Ridge, Leupold Rogue are all pretty much the same bino - mediocre optics in my opinion after trying them all.

If you want a really good small compact roof then get an 8x28 Bushnell Excursion for about $70.
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Bushnell-Ex...280694235076?pt=Binocular&hash=item415aae1fc4

I spent the entire afternoon/evening yesterday comparing an older Swaro 8x30 SLC, an 8x36 Bushnell Legend Ultra HD and an 8x28 Excursion. Know what I decided about 4:50 pm?
I went and bought another 8x28 Excursion off of ebay from that guy;)

tom

Thanks. I was under the impression that in the compact $50-$150 class the porro designs were the performance leaders. Will check into a pair of Excursions. Learning a lot as I go ;~)

Last edited:
Red Horn
The Excursions are a discontinued item from Bushnell, that was dropped from the catalog in 2009 when the Excursion EX's came out, but the smallest EX is 7x36. The Excursion line was a fairly decent phase coated roof line in its day, but the 8x28 was the hidden gem in this line, and originally sold for around the $180 + mark.

I have spent the last 10 months comparing the more expensive (non alpha) phase coated 8x25 roofs, as well as the 8x25 & 8x26 reverse porros. IMO the 8x25 Trackers have the best optics, with the 8x28 Excursion roofs a very close second.
The 8x28 Excursions have 417 ft FOV, 14.5oz, waterproof, 6 ft close focus, twist up eyecups, 15mm ER, and considering that the sweetspot on the Excursions is almost as large as the entire FOV of the Trackers, you may understand why I like them so much.

Not many places still sell them and those that do generally want over $100 for them.

The 8x28 Excursions are the same size, footprint and weight as most of the other decent single hinge 8x25 roofs, and they are only about 3/8" taller and 1/4-3/8" thicker than my 8x25 Trackers. Neither one is going to slip into your front shirt pocket.

Thats my 2 cents worth, and why I jumped on another pair yesterday for $70.

Tom

Tom

You are tempting me with those Excursions. $70 is definitely do-able for a compact, phase coated roof prism binocular with that size field of view. ;)

I spent both yesterday and today, off and on from about noon until dark thirty, comparing a pair of older (1996) 8x30 Swaro SLC I bought against my 8x36 Ultra HD's and threw the 8x28 Excursions in as the low end check, rather than some 8x32 Legends. Both days were cloudy with periods of bright sun and rain, and my neighbors backyard is an optical comparison wonderland. Ever watch a sparrow stick his head out of the 1-1/2" hole of a birdhouse at 150 feet and try to reslove his beak from his head colors? 100 times?;) I had always been impressed with the little Excursions, but didn't realize how good they were until I started this extended marathon back and forth comparison. Obviously, in the extreme lowlight testing they finished last, but not by much behind the older Swaros, with the 8x36 Ultras on top.

That guy in Canada has been selling the 8x28 Excursions for months for $99 and I'd offer $70, and he would counter $89 and not move off it. He had an auction late yesterday at 69.99 and I was the only bidder, and I see he has another auction at 69.99 and still has the $99 BIN or best offer. Just couln't pass up a second pair of these for $70 since I got the 1st pair from him 7 months ago for $51 on an auction. The only slighly negative thing i could say about them is that the focus knob is not the worlds smoothest, but certainly more than adequate, and better than many.

I had the 8x25 Columbia Backcountry's that everyone liked - but me, as i returned mine.

And besides, you liked the little Celestron Natures I first reviewed.

And Dennis liked the 8x25 Trackers I recommended enough to declare they were optically close to his new 8.5 SV's before the marriage soured.8-P

Roll the dice and take your turn.:king:

Tom

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back